I Can't Boot after installing new Motherboard and CPU!

BSykes

Beta member
Hey everybody!

Recently I wanted to upgrade my system to 4 GB of ram, however in order to do that, I had to upgrade my motherboard because my old motherboard only supported up to 2GB of ram. I was running Windows 7 32bit.

So, I upgraded my mother board to this:
ASRock FM2A55M-DGS FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
I upgraded my CPU to this:
AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic ...
And I upgraded my ram to 2 modules of 2GB each. DDR3 1600

I installed all this in my Dell Dimension 3000
(Or I should say my cousin installed all that stuff. I don't know how to do that.)

My old hard drive is IDE, so I got an IDE to SATA adapter.

When I try to boot up, it starts boot cycling.
When I try to change the boot order, the only options are "UEFI:Built-In EFI Shell" and "AHCI PO: ST3200822A"
It boot cycles no matter which of these I choose.

Then, I bought a cheap refurbished SATA hard drive, to try that and see if maybe my hard drive wasn't working properly or there was something wrong with the IDE to SATA conversion.
Now the 2 options in the boot menu are "UEFI: Built-In EFI Shell" and "AHCI PO: WDC WD2500AAJS-00Y2CA0"

When I choose "UEFI:Built in EFI Shell" it just takes me to the ASRock configuration page.

When I choose "AHCI PO: WDC WD2500AAJS-00Y2CA0" it brings me to a screen that says "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key"

I currently have the Windows 7 64 bit disc in the CD drive, but the CD drive doesn't show up in the boot menu, so I can't boot from it. Now that I have the SATA hard drive in, I am using the IDE to SATA converter for my disc drive since that is IDE.

I'm very confused about what I should do. My cousin who helped me install the stuff is in another state now and hes not very good at answering his phone, so any any advice from any of you guys is VERY much appreciated.

Let me know if I left out any important information.

Thanks!!

Okay. You have a whole load of issues.

First of all in an attempt to upgrade just a bit of RAM you have changed your motherboard / cpu / ram and got yourself a new hard drive now!
Seriously you have done 85% of the leg work to build a new machine.

Your computer is not recognizing your old DVD/CD Drive. (My opinion)
Go buy yourself a SATA DVD Drive. A basic one costs £20 / $30.

If i am correct you now have the following new:
Motherboard
CPU
Memory
Hard Drive
CD / DVD Drive (£20 / $30)

To Build a new Computer from scratch you only need to get the following:
Basic Case (£30 / $ 45)
Power Supply (£60 / $90)

You really don't want to be using the Dell Case as you have everything else custom. Dell Cases are just too fiddley and don't like being messed with.
I would recommend just build your new system from scratch.

Also why do you want to upgrade from Windows 7 32bit to 64bit. (you said you 32bit before,and you were using a 64bit disc now.) If you are using only 4gb of RAM for memory stick to 32bit. Unless there is a specific reason, you are really going to get no benefit from 64bit Windows.

Set the drive in the bios to be the boot device. Then try it.
Seriously though one reason it won't boot is windows configures itself to the hardware it was one when first installed. If it sees a major change like new motherboard and cpu it squawks. Meaning it won't boot up.
Rule of thumb is to lock the windows program first then unlock it on the new hardware.

Dump the IDE hardware and go with what the board has connections for.

Back
Top Bottom