I am supposed to get a download speed of "up to 5 mbps" I'm only getting 2100 kb/s.

mitts2010

Baseband Member
I am supposed to get a download speed of "up to 5 mbps" I'm only getting 2100 kb/s.

Is this acceptable, it will rarely get over 3000 kb/s for a few minutes at 3 in the morning. But it is usually 2000. But the provider advertises "up to 5 Mbps", and I'm getting less then half of that? I heard no less then a 10% difference.

Re: I am supposed to get a download speed of "up to 5 mbps" I'm only getting 2100 kb/

I used speedtest.net. It is megabits that they are advertising. So to convert it all to the same unit. I am supposed to get "up to" 5120 kilobits, and I am only getting 2100 kilobits.

Re: I am supposed to get a download speed of "up to 5 mbps" I'm only getting 2100 kb/

Shaw cable here in British Columbia. I have talked to numerous people with Shaw that get pretty close or faster then the advertised speed. But I have also heard numerous people complain that lately they aren't getting the advertised speed.

I just upgraded from High Speed light. And was getting the proper speed exactly then. But now I am not.

I'm getting pretty fed up with them. Yesterday I lost all cable service for 5 hours (no TV, no internet and no phone [so no 911 either]). I have only lost a dial tone once in in over 10 years with the real phone company Telus (I switched to digital phone 5 months ago [it goes through the cable]).

And when I phoned yesterday they told me there "was nothing wrong that they can see", and said they would send someone out the next day if I'd like. I felt like saying "what do you think my heads up my ass, and I'm lying when I say I have no dial tone, no TV, and no internet".

It came back that night though.

And every other time I have phoned about an internet problem I have to spend three hours being transfered from person to person and each of them tells me to "unplug my modem for 30 seconds", and then goes over other silly things like making sure your cables are plugged in.

One of my buddies in Ontario has Shaw cable and he says it's slow sometimes and sometimes it's alright. He has had outages too like you have mentioned. It's gotta have something to do with the cable company. Not sure if he's done anything to fix it.

Shaw cable here in British Columbia. I have talked to numerous people with Shaw that get pretty close or faster then the advertised speed. But I have also heard numerous people complain that lately they aren't getting the advertised speed.

I just upgraded from High Speed light. And was getting the proper speed exactly then. But now I am not.

I'm getting pretty fed up with them. Yesterday I lost all cable service for 5 hours (no TV, no internet and no phone [so no 911 either]). I have only lost a dial tone once in in over 10 years with the real phone company Telus (I switched to digital phone 5 months ago [it goes through the cable]).

And when I phoned yesterday they told me there "was nothing wrong that they can see", and said they would send someone out the next day if I'd like. I felt like saying "what do you think my heads up my ass, and I'm lying when I say I have no dial tone, no TV, and no internet".

It came back that night though.

And every other time I have phoned about an internet problem I have to spend three hours being transfered from person to person and each of them tells me to "unplug my modem for 30 seconds", and then goes over other silly things like making sure your cables are plugged in.
My friend in Alberta has problems with Shaw too. They sound way too similar to Bell from that post. They try to blame the problems on your computer and (for satellite TV) keep telling you to check the satellite signal again after you've checked it 8 times and keep resetting the receiver and to call back in 15 minutes. :rolleyes:

I don't know really know what to suggest other than keep complaining to them. If it is a problem with your line, there's nothing you can really do other than call them which you already done.

If they keep causing problems and you have other options it might be wise to switch to another ISP... as long as that ISP isn't Bell.

I think you will find that your ISP (shaw) is throttling your connection, they are doing it on cable now just as much as any where else, you can complain to them as much as you like, they will probably say everything but that,but the fact is they are, just google around you will find you are one of many unhappy shaw customers, are you using torrents my guess is you are.

Back
Top Bottom