I am looking for a new Vid card

Eye4eyE

Beta member
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and as the "Read before you post" thread stated, google searches have not really answered me well.

Anyway, I am searching for a new video card. Currently, I am running a Geforce 8500 GT 512mb.
I use my PC mainly for gaming and while I have been tolerating the sluggishness of the new sets for the Fallout series, I think it's time for me to upgrade.

As per the other thread's request, here are my specs.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3326MB RAM (stupid 32-bit won't recognize the rest of my ram)
PCI-e slot (at least that's what CPU-Z is telling me. I thought it was just standard PCI)

I would appreciate any feedback I get. If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks,

Eye

Until you upgrade to a 64 bit OS, you won't ever see the rest of your RAM. And depending on which video card you get, you might actually lower the available amount of RAM that your OS sees due to the limits of 32 bit operating systems. FYI.

Your CPU is also a handicap. If you consider yourself a true gamer, you'll probably want to look at getting that CPU upgraded as soon as you invest in a good video card. Fortunately you need to upgrade the video card more than the CPU at this point, so I'll focus on that.

We need to know the kind of budget you have. $100? $200? <$300?

Second, what kind of power supply is in your system? If it's not a name brand unit, don't consider getting a high end video card until it is. If it's already a name brand, we need to know what the amps & watts ratings are on all of the rails, just for completeness sake.

Welcome to the forums, btw. :)

Thanks for the welcome =)

Yeah, people keep telling me to get 64 bit.
Anyway, as far as my power supply goes, it's a Dynex DX-PS500W (don't know why people hate Dynex, it works just fine haha) It's 500 watts. Don't really know how to check the Amp.

My budget is up to 250.

Just so I'm clear. You just implied that all my stuff is worse than what you just linked and I may as well just buy all of that instead dropping it all on a single vid card?

Look on the label for the power supply. It'll tell you there. I'm willing to wager that it's also not a 500 watt power supply, just a rebranded 400 watt or whatever Dynex is trying to push off the shelves as "quality" these days. Sure it works, but you sure as hell won't catch me using one in my system. If you put any kind of load on it, KABOOM. You've been warned.

I think Vinman went a little far by suggesting you upgrade the entire system - that's not what you were asking for, but he does bring a compelling solution to light.

But take that power supply he linked, and up the video card a notch to a 4850, which should hold you over for a while longer - if you piecemeal it, you can upgrade to his entire list and have a substantially better gaming system.

The 4850's are decently priced right now for the performance they bring: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482

Up to you of course, and I have hands on experience with those Regor Athlon II's - they're bloody fast.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was actually looking to make the budget build that is in one of the stickies. Honestly as far as gaming goes, the highest demand game I have is fallout New vegas. Most games I play are "old world" Like the old Diablos and CS 1.6. That's not to say that my computer can't handle some of the more graphically intensive games, like Vanguard (which worked really smooth for me, a lot smoother than EQ 1)

Not sure what the deal with the Fallouts is.

But I will definitely look into your suggestion. Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom