I am close to freaking out! Please help

Well if everything is hooked up properly then there is only one solution...Faulty hardware. Something is faulty that you are overlooking. Maybe it's your motherboard.

Just coz they got engineering degrees, doesnt mean they know computers lol. I know tons of smart people, but they cant build a pc. If you post a pic, we will be to spot any errors straight away, there is obviosly something not connected properly. Either that or you have been extremely unlucky and got 2 dead mobos.

Look at where the motherboard is screwed into the case I have seen many people put the screws on and they didn't put the little rubber washer on or they screwed the screws on too tight and it would short out and not power up because the motherboard protects itself from such cases, also a short might cause the rubber smell you stated in your first post. That is just a possibility trying to just throw things up in the air because that would really suck to have that happen. Have you tried to call Tech support for your motherboard? Also you should ask your engineer buddys to take a Digital Multi Meeter to your Current PSU and make sure the voltages are right, the correct voltages are on the side of the psu and I am sure if they have their masters the would have no problem doing that. Also check the PSU and make sure the correct wall voltage is selected EX: 225 or 115. To me it sounds like a power issue especially since you smell the hot wires... Hope this helped and Best of luck to you

THE BAREBONES HARDWARE FOR VIDEO

the only required parts you need for video are.

1.Motherboard
2.Powersupply
3.CPU
4.RAM
5.Videocard /unless you have onboard video

And make sure you have a known good working monitor and power cables for both the PC and monitor,
and make sure the monitor is powered on.

and before when even get down to it , Make sure you have a large enough power supply.
Dont even waste your time doing this if you are trying to boot a system with 2 X1950XTXs in crossfire, and 6 Hardrives with a 300 Watt power supply.

Ok Lets Start

1. REMOVE the motherboard, place it on a Plastic surafce/ such as a rubber mat, or a large square of packing material.

2. Start putting the ram, cpu & heatsink/fan, videocard (some videocards Need additional power make sure you are plugging power into these places as well). ONE thing at a time, double check and make sure everything is in place properly and plugged in I.E. CPU fan.

3. Plug the power supply into the board (some boards require additional power, make sure you are plugging the power into these places as well),

4. Take your case and move it by the board and plug the powerswitch onto the CORRECT pins on the motherboard.(consult your motherboards manual if you dont know where these are)

5. Also try hooking up the small speaker in your pc to the CORRECT pins on the mobo to get a diagnostic beep code. (consult your motherboards manual if you dont know where these are)

6. Hook up the monitor to the back of the videocard, carefully, its not screwed down so it can pop out easily. (if your using onboard video this step does not pertain to you)
If you have onboard video just plug it into the VGA port of the back of the motherboard.

7. Press the power button.

Did you hear any Beeps? any video?

If you still dont have video try this only if you have both onboard video and a Slot based videocard I.E. PCI-E/AGP/PCI pull the Slot based video card and try the onboard)

still none?

If you still dont have any video, Try replacing the easiest compents first, such as Ram, then Videocard, then PSU, then CPU, then Motherboard. Just ONE at a time and try booting and listening for beeps after each one.

Make sure you have known good working Componets your replacing them with as well, and make sure they are compatible.

That should narrow down what componet is causing trouble.

Good Luck, LambofGod

Does this mean when I get my EE degree that I will be amoung the smartest people?

hehehe

anyway yeah just becasue the have those degrees doesnt mean much...

also check to make sure that both the 20/24 pin connector as well as the other 4 pin connector are plugged into the MOBO...but then again it would turn on then turn right off if that was the case IIRC...but yeah check what bloodstalker said... DMM can be a great help to trouble shoot things!!!

Lamb GOOD CALL!!!

nice write up...

Thats your problem then. Your shorting your motherboards out on your metal chasis on the case...

ok so i went to my local computer store and I was able to determine that my Antec true power 550 was bad. They gave me a True power 650 for my troubles. The thing that I am worried about it I tired a differant PSU already after my first one didn't work. Is it possible that a bad PSU would mess other stuff up in my comp? Because I did smell hot wires, and I am really hoping that it didn't fry my MOBO or CPU

Back
Top Bottom