hypothetical cpu question

MeTzenAs said:
lol anything but a pentium d is unacceptable?? hmm I build / repair computer for a living, as as far as gaming goes.. nothing compare to an amd, but why would I go duel core.. when I need all the resources going to one place? This is the reason the fx series is a single core. So.. and as far as normal pentium 4's go.. pentium 4 3.0 is still the normal cause not really worth going any faster for the price/performance ratio. you can take a pentium 4 3.0 with a high end graphics card.. and play any game an amd can play (very well at that) of course you will get better frame rate with an athlon 64.. but we are talking just being able to play. anything put a pentium d is unacceptable? me and about 4 techs who do this for a living are laughing at you.

going to post performance test for the unrelease pentioum extreme editon with the 973(may not be 973 forget the number but its not released yet its a tester) chipset.

lol. You and 4 techs are laughing at him, yet the entire world is laughing at you :p

Gamers just don't want to play... Gamers want frame rates!

Why buy a Pentium 4 3.0ghz for 300 bucks when you can get a faster processor for the same amount which out performs it? X2 3800+ kills it. Opteron 170 OEM kills it.

Buying a Pentium is like buying a crane to scew in a lightbulb.

Good
stuff, ~Rob, but imo:

Intel Pentium 4/D: For those who are either stupid or find a shockingly good bargain.
Intel Celeron D: For those who need the best value PC and so go for a Dell they saw on a flyer.
AMD Athlon 64: Gamers/peeps who want good performance in basic-mid-range tasks.
AMD Sempron: For budget users/none-gamers who realise they don't need that much power.
AMD Athlon 64 X2: Multi-tasker with deep pockets' choice.
AMD Athlon 64 FX: Rich dudes' choice, who don't do that heavy multi-tasking.
Pentium M: Ultimate laptop CPU, besides the C7-M, although I haven't seen any laptops for sale yet that feature this chip.
AMD Turion: Budget battery life CPU/desktop replacement.
Mobile AMD Sempron/Intel Celeron M: Budget laptop users basically.
Other CPU's: Not worth it.

Quinton McLeod said:

Gamers just don't want to play... Gamers want frame rates!

Why buy a Pentium 4 3.0ghz for 300 bucks when you can get a faster processor for the same amount which out performs it? X2 3800+ kills it. Opteron 170 OEM kills it.

1st. Well I'm not a dude who plays all the time. But I play games, sometimes many hours every day for a week, sometimes I'm a few weeks with playing only a few hours total. And well, aslong as my FPS is better than 60 I don't care. Sure it's nice to have 120+ FPS, but there really isn't a difference.

2nd, I don't know where u buy ur prices but u might look at some cheaper places. I'd suggest www.newegg.com. There u can get p4 3 Ghz for under $200. And the price difference with a P4 3.0Ghz and an amd x2 3800+ is like $150. But yes, the x2 3800+ is better.

~Rob said:
Pentiums are for people who've always bought Dells.
Celerons are for people who cant afford a Pentium but still want an Intel badge on the outside of there new Dell.
AMDs are for people who prefer "ownage" to the company of a woman.
Semprons are for the destitute "owners" and the truely sick who think Budget and gaming belong in the same sentence!
Mobile processers are a waste of time as you know the laptop will never leave your kitchen table.
Cyrix's are the future! Forget clock speeds, L2 cache and 64bit extensions.... Look at the floating decimal point on that!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

And you sir, are problaby trying to get 20 fps on halif life 1, with your cyrix box.

I have an SGi Indy sitting in my garage right now. It still has all the Cyrix software on it, and in 1997, it was worth 15 million.

IRT #1,

Pentium is the cheap mans gaming processor, hell if you wanted to just RUN the game, you could easily spend 125$ on a 2.2GHz Sempron and OC it to 2.6 and get just as good of preformance as long as you have 1 G of ram and at LEAST a 9800 or 6600.

mammikoura said:
1st. Well I'm not a dude who plays all the time. But I play games, sometimes many hours every day for a week, sometimes I'm a few weeks with playing only a few hours total. And well, aslong as my FPS is better than 60 I don't care. Sure it's nice to have 120+ FPS, but there really isn't a difference.

2nd, I don't know where u buy ur prices but u might look at some cheaper places. I'd suggest www.newegg.com. There u can get p4 3 Ghz for under $200. And the price difference with a P4 3.0Ghz and an amd x2 3800+ is like $150. But yes, the x2 3800+ is better.

The difference between a P4 3.0ghz and a X2 3800 is the difference between a hammer and a bulldozer. If you want to compare apples with apples, then there's the AMD 64 3200+... That's about $139.00 while the P4 3.0ghz processor is 186.99

P4 3.0ghz - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116230

AMD 64 3200+ - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103443
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

Using your own source ;)

AMD 64 3200+ kills the P4 3.0ghz processor

HRHunteRHR said:
Pentium is the cheap mans gaming processor, hell if you wanted to just RUN the game, you could easily spend 125$ on a 2.2GHz Sempron and OC it to 2.6 and get just as good of preformance as long as you have 1 G of ram and at LEAST a 9800 or 6600.

Hahaha!

The Pentium is NOT the cheap man's gaming processor... Not even by a long shot :p

Back
Top Bottom