Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-15-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Hyperthreading

I heard around Hyperthreading but...what is hyperthreading??

jakehopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK
Default Re: Hyperthreading

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakehopt
I heard around Hyperthreading but...what is hyperthreading??
A quick google search gives this information, it gives a lot of information in regards to Hyperthreading Technology.

Hyperthreading

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Hyperthreading is basically a technology that Intel uses that tricks the computer into thinking it has two processors running when it only has one. When this happens, you have a performance boost and can run a lot of programs simulatenously.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan

a more technical explination is that there are two vertual processors, well an extra one so 2 say, so that u can run two threads simotaniously instead of one, or multible threads with less crowdedness
Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

Guys, let's try not to confuse him with non-detailed descriptions...

Hyper-Threading Technology: Hyper-Threading Technology is a technique used to open up more threads within the CPU (Centrol Processing Unit). A CPU, or processor, that has HT (Hyper-Threading) Technology, is composed of two parts: a Physical processor, and a Logical processor. The Physical processor is the processor that you can see and touch if you opened up your computer case. The Logical processor is a processor that the Phycials processor makes up. The Physical processor simply uses methods to "create" a new processor within itself. This is why if you're runnign Windows XP and you bring up the Task Manager you can see two bars, both displaying CPU Usage. The HT Technology however, is said to limit gaming performance, because the Physical processor can not use up everythign that it needs. On some reviews I have read, it states that with HT Technology enabled, the Physcial processor can only use up about 80% of its true self. So when gaming HT Technology does have a hinderence on the gaming applications. But if you want to multitask, HT Technology is far superior to that of a non-hyper threading CPU. Because with "two" processors, you can accomplish far more then a single processor could.

I hope that this gives you a more detailed description of what Hyper-Threading Technology is and how it is employed.
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

Thats just going to confuse him.. Lol

Anyways.. my short and sweet version..

With HyperThreading.. You have your Physical processor. And within that processor, its thinking that its running a second processor side by side. But really, its running a virtural or fake processor inside of it.

So think of running a game, or doing some multi-tasking. Half the data goes to the real processor, and then, the other half is processed in the hyperthreaded area of the logical one.

Actually that still seemed confusing.. Sorry
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

Actually the data isn't really split into two equal halfs. It's more like 60% - 70% is being processed by the Physcial processor and the other 30% - 40% by the Logical processor.
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

I know... But I was confusing enough. I didnt wanna say too much. Because I think he gets the basic idea now.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan

yea after all our ways of explaining hopefully he understands now....lol. i am looking around at processors and noticed the intel dual core processors don't have HT, y not? any1 know lol
Old 03-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMan
yea after all our ways of explaining hopefully he understands now....lol. i am looking around at processors and noticed the intel dual core processors don't have HT, y not? any1 know lol
lol over redundancy. that and if you put hyperthreading on a dual core processor , then you would have two physical logical processors, and it would probably use too many resources to maintain the two virtual processors, thats just my edua-ma-cated guess :P

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
mayorredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote