Hyperthreading

Hyperthreading is basically a technology that Intel uses that tricks the computer into thinking it has two processors running when it only has one. When this happens, you have a performance boost and can run a lot of programs simulatenously.

a more technical explination is that there are two vertual processors, well an extra one so 2 say, so that u can run two threads simotaniously instead of one, or multible threads with less crowdedness

Guys, let's try not to confuse him with non-detailed descriptions...

Hyper-Threading Technology: Hyper-Threading Technology is a technique used to open up more threads within the CPU (Centrol Processing Unit). A CPU, or processor, that has HT (Hyper-Threading) Technology, is composed of two parts: a Physical processor, and a Logical processor. The Physical processor is the processor that you can see and touch if you opened up your computer case. The Logical processor is a processor that the Phycials processor makes up. The Physical processor simply uses methods to "create" a new processor within itself. This is why if you're runnign Windows XP and you bring up the Task Manager you can see two bars, both displaying CPU Usage. The HT Technology however, is said to limit gaming performance, because the Physical processor can not use up everythign that it needs. On some reviews I have read, it states that with HT Technology enabled, the Physcial processor can only use up about 80% of its true self. So when gaming HT Technology does have a hinderence on the gaming applications. But if you want to multitask, HT Technology is far superior to that of a non-hyper threading CPU. Because with "two" processors, you can accomplish far more then a single processor could.

I hope that this gives you a more detailed description of what Hyper-Threading Technology is and how it is employed. :)

Thats just going to confuse him.. Lol

Anyways.. my short and sweet version..

With HyperThreading.. You have your Physical processor. And within that processor, its thinking that its running a second processor side by side. But really, its running a virtural or fake processor inside of it.

So think of running a game, or doing some multi-tasking. Half the data goes to the real processor, and then, the other half is processed in the hyperthreaded area of the logical one.

Actually that still seemed confusing.. Sorry :(

Actually the data isn't really split into two equal halfs. It's more like 60% - 70% is being processed by the Physcial processor and the other 30% - 40% by the Logical processor. :)

I know... But I was confusing enough. I didnt wanna say too much. Because I think he gets the basic idea now. :)

yea after all our ways of explaining hopefully he understands now....lol. i am looking around at processors and noticed the intel dual core processors don't have HT, y not? any1 know lol

MooseMan said:
yea after all our ways of explaining hopefully he understands now....lol. i am looking around at processors and noticed the intel dual core processors don't have HT, y not? any1 know lol

lol over redundancy. that and if you put hyperthreading on a dual core processor , then you would have two physical logical processors, and it would probably use too many resources to maintain the two virtual processors, thats just my edua-ma-cated guess :p

Back
Top Bottom