Huge Media Player Issue

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi everyone
I've just come home to find that my WMP11 has just screwed up majorly. Pretty much, my music library is gone (the files are still there but WMP hasn't got any information on it anymore, so the library is empty), and it simply says "the Player is searching for digital media files in the background" - yet does not find any music - not when I play music manually, nothing. If I add the my music folder to the now-empty 'personal folders' dialog, clicking OK and reopening it just shows it was not added to the list.

I have tried rolling back to WMP10 and then re-installing 11 - no change.
I have also tried a 'repair/remove library' tutorial which involves deleting the database in Application Data / Microsoft / Media Index - the file was never there in the first place.

The video library is still there, as is the 'other' library and I guess picture library (but there was never anything in that one) - there are some other bugs here and there, like the "Share Media" dialog won't close no matter what button I press, and Media Player crashes altogether when clicking the SETTINGS button on that dialog - also, trying to delete playlists, videos, etc, will do nothing (no dialog comes up). Opening a song manually and then selecting "Find in Library" crashes media player.

If you could help, I'd be much appreciative.
-Rhys

u mentioned u tried rolling back im pretty sure if u do that it still keeps ur old library information so try a complete uninstall then reinstall c wot happens then

How can I do a 'complete uninstall'? Uninstalling WMP11 said it would just roll back to WMP10, it didn't seem like I had a choice.

-Rhys

go to add/remove programs in control panel. then click "add remove windows components". then tick/untick windows media player and click next. hopefully it should uninstall

That sounded promising, but I'm afraid it did nothing (uninstalling WMA as a component, reinstalling it) different to the other way I reinstalled other than the fact it just didn't 'roll back'.

-Rhys

Hey! I fixed it! I tried a system restore, which didn't work, and a few other reinstalling variations... But in the end, this is how I fixed it:

Deleted "Media Player" folder and "Media Index" folders in any application data \ Microsoft directories of any users... pretty much deleted the Cache for the database. Reinstalled WMP11, and it rescanned and found all the songs again!

Thanks for your help, everyone
-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom