Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default An HP Question . . .

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site and thus far I'm enjoying my experience. With that being said, I do have a question about an HP (a520n) computer that I'm working on. The PC will not power on. I push the power button and it seems like it's going to start, then it fails . . . I've tried it numerous times--taking different components out, plugging it into different wall outlets, etc, but to no avail. So, my question is doesn't this seem to be a power supply issue? I can't think that it would be anything else.

In addition to the power supply, the hard drive has failed. I plugged it into a different working PC and it didn't work at all, it says that it has bad sectors and can't recover. When the power supply was working on the HP (a520n), I tried running the recovery mode, safe mode, etc, but to no avail.

My whole point in writing this thread is to hear what more experienced people think the issue is. I know that I can just purchase these products and find out, but I don't want to waste my clients money.

Thanks for your time and attention,

Ace

ace070590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: An HP Question . . .

Some of those brand name computers use special power supplies that you have to buy from the producer. These are very expensive.

darroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Sounds like PSU died and maybe took a Harddrive with it. I took a look around on the net and it seem to be a regular Atx PSU so you should be good as long as you purchase a smaller size unit (400w range with 40a). Just make sure to purchase from a name brand because something like this could happend again and take out more components. Also I suggest a new Western Digital drive.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERMAL-REACTOR View Post
Sounds like PSU died and maybe took a Harddrive with it. I took a look around on the net and it seem to be a regular Atx PSU so you should be good as long as you purchase a smaller size unit (400w range with 40a). Just make sure to purchase from a name brand because something like this could happend again and take out more components. Also I suggest a new Western Digital drive.
Thank you so much. So, is there a particular hard drive that you would suggest? Here's the one I found: http://www.circotech.com/bestec-atx-...er-supply.html.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Baseband Member

I would not replacee it with the factory unit as you are just going to have the same problems again. Here is a much better quality unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171028

How much does your customer want to spend on a Harddrive? $60 for 320gb Western digital:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136109
Old 01-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERMAL-REACTOR View Post
I would not replacee it with the factory unit as you are just going to have the same problems again. Here is a much better quality unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171028

How much does your customer want to spend on a Harddrive? $60 for 320gb Western digital:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136109
Thank you so much, that was big help. Perfect find!