Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default HP Proliant N36L and SSD

Hi

I am considering buying a SSD to put in my server purely for the OS and use my 1tb HD as my storage drive, my question is do I need a certain type of sata connector or should I just use the stand sata cable that I connected my previous HD.

darthlinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: HP Proliant N36L and SSD

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
The Candyman

I thought that when you buy a HHD or an SSD harddrive they came with the cables needed to install it.

I would just use the cable/s the SSD came with. Just a thought.

EDIT: if you're buying from Newegg or Amazon, they might not come with a cable i'm not sure.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
In Runtime

As long as the connection works fine then there should be no problem. Its not like a brand new one will make it move faster unless you have problems with your existing cable.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

The drives typically do not come with their own cables. Any SATA cable will do the job. Assuming the drive and motherboard are both SATA3, you'll want to make sure that you use a SATA3 cable to get as much out of the drive's speed as possible.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

I copy Celegorm. Drives usually don't come with SATA cables. You get plenty when buying a motherboard though. I think i got 4-5 when buying my current mobo. And a SATA cable is a SATA cable. You current should work just fine.

May i ask.. why SSD for a server?
What kind of server is it?
A server is usually powered on all the time? so bootup is properly not the reason. Beside a server just need to take orders from clients. and if the DATA is on a HDD anyway, I doubt that you will have a much faster experience using the server form the clients.
This is ofcause if the server is just sitting there. If you use it often, then it's another ball game.
In that case i understand.
But i would never waste a SSD on say my previously server at work. (we don't have than anymore sense the server has been removed. We now have a central server in another city that i dno't have access to -_-)
It was just sitting there doing what it was setup to do.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
I copy Celegorm. Drives usually don't come with SATA cables. You get plenty when buying a motherboard though. I think i got 4-5 when buying my current mobo. And a SATA cable is a SATA cable. You current should work just fine.

May i ask.. why SSD for a server?
What kind of server is it?
A server is usually powered on all the time? so bootup is properly not the reason. Beside a server just need to take orders from clients. and if the DATA is on a HDD anyway, I doubt that you will have a much faster experience using the server form the clients.
This is ofcause if the server is just sitting there. If you use it often, then it's another ball game.
In that case i understand.
But i would never waste a SSD on say my previously server at work. (we don't have than anymore sense the server has been removed. We now have a central server in another city that i dno't have access to -_-)
It was just sitting there doing what it was setup to do.
Well at the moment its just used as my main PC but I want to get rid of my NAS and just use the server as my media center for the TV downstairs
Old 09-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

in that case go for it