HP G62 screen intermittently doesn't turn on

4thgenlude

Baseband Member
The screen on my HP G62 often doesn't turn on. I'll power it on and the lights on the keyboard will turn on, I hear the disk drive engage but the screen doesn't turn on at all. So I power it off and try again, sometimes it works on the second try, sometimes it takes multiple attempts.

Once the screen is on then everything works fine. But if it goes into hibernation then the screen won't turn back on most of the time.

So far I've only tried taking it apart and looking for any loose connections, but with my limited knowledge I wasn't able to find anything.

Any ideas as to what I can check? or what might cause something like this?

Thanks much guys!

It sounds like it's probably the Motherboard or RAM going bad. Have you tried to hook it up to an external monitor when it's not working to see if the monitor comes on?

I have not tried hooking up to another monitor yet, I don't have a VGA or HDMI cable. I don't think it boots into windows because I never hear the little tune it makes when it logs into windows.

That was my guess, it never POST's. In other words, the power comes on, but it doesn't actually boot. There is a difference. In my experience, most of the time this is caused by the motherboard or the RAM. Have you tried re-seating the RAM to see if that helps?

That was my guess, it never POST's. In other words, the power comes on, but it doesn't actually boot. There is a difference. In my experience, most of the time this is caused by the motherboard or the RAM. Have you tried re-seating the RAM to see if that helps?

I'm not sure what you mean by re-seating the RAM? I took it out and put it back in when I disassembled the laptop if that's what you mean.

Yes, that's what I mean.

It's my opinion that it's a bad mobo (or rather a dying mobo) but you might want to get another opinion or take it somewhere and see what they have to say.

Yes, that's what I mean.

It's my opinion that it's a bad mobo (or rather a dying mobo) but you might want to get another opinion or take it somewhere and see what they have to say.

Ouch. Hopefully not! But I guess it is what it is. Ill take it someplace to get checked out.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate your knowledge. Ill update this thread if I find out what it is for sure.

Are you certain you are using the correct power unit/charger for the machine?

Check the values on the bottom of the laptop fit with the chargers, ie, Amps, Volts. Most probably 19V and 4A or similar.

Try running it without the battery plugged in, just off the charger, and vice versa.

I think the charger is the correct one, but Ill double check next time I turn off the computer. But having it plugged in or not does not seem to make much difference.

Back
Top Bottom