HP or Dell?

seanrider

Solid State Member
I was wondering if HP and Dell make good computers. Which one is a better company to buy a premade computer?

I personally prefer HP because I've had better luck with them, although Dell does make alright computers the only drawback is their customer support.

They are both good manufacturers, you can't go wrong with either one. Just pick the system that best matches the specifications and price range you want.

Haven't had the best luck so far with HP. They shipped me a laptop with a defective part 1.5 years ago, made the whole display card/motherboard screw up. I thought since I was out of warranty, I'd have to pay for the repair. I then quickly googled the problem (the symptoms are VERY specific - pink lines, flickering screen, dashes through the BIOS, 1-2yrs after purchase, etc). It turns out HP recalled EVERY laptop in the same family as mine, but not my specific laptop because it is a customized laptop (not a pre-configured one), even though the ONLY thing I changed was RAM amount. I called HP to question about this, thinking it only fair that I too be offered the free repair (otherwise its $449 which is ridiculous) since I was obviously shipped the same exact bad parts. I spent probably a total of an hour on hold, asking to talk to supervisors, being talked down to like I was an idiot. They finally gave me a case manager who told me all of the same bullshit, told me very rudely to stop interrupting her, and told me that I didn't understand that computers can have a lot of different problems and that it's probably just a coincidence. I continued to not give in to her, so she finally agreed to let me send my laptop in and have the repair people determine if I have to pay for it (I have really high hopes for this, considering they work for HP.............)

I think my bad experience is really based on being sent this bad laptop; if I had no problems, I don't think I'd have any issues with HP. But now that I do, I'm starting to realize I'm not very happy about their business practices. If the repair center says they are going to charge me, I will report it to the BBB. Not recalling a known defective part is illegal and terrible business practice.

My company uses all Dell laptops and I love them; granted, they are business class so very durable and well built. Also business customer care is a lot better, so I don't know what to tell you.

Wow this was a helpful post from me, huh? Sorry... lol

Go with HP for laptops!
Dell has poor customer support and HP laptops are cheaper AND better.

dont forget Compaq. Compaq is pretty much the same company as HP.

Both have definitely stepped up in the past year or two. Dell used to be the laughing stock for many PC enthusiast, but now their XPS desktops and notebooks are some of the nicest you can buy. HP makes some nice mainstream computers as well. I especially like their new Mini 1000 netbook.

Back
Top Bottom