How are (is your) laptop and LCD monitor combination?

SirZak

Beta member
I'm currently in the thought of getting a new laptop. First off, my current laptop has issues, but I guess that is what I get for paying $400 for one on eBay. It was fine for the first months.

One issue I am concerned with is setting up my new LCD monitor. After continually trying to get the picture to look good, I just cant seem to get it just right. The main thing is when I set my settings to the 'recommended resolution' of 1440x900 I get a 'out of range' error message, and the monitor goes to sleep. The monitor is also in sleep during windows updates / shutdown screen, and during the bootup.

I've already been through a couple of troubleshooting and recommendations to get the monitor right, but the fact is I'm probably getting a new laptop anywase. Just how good are laptops with monitors? Or is it just my laptop? Now I'm scared to death that my picture will not look as good (or close to) the picture I get on my laptop screen. Before I was sure that my chosen monitor would look just as terrific connected to my laptop, but then I get 'orange' colored folders and harsh edges around pictures.

current Laptop:
Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E
15.4"
1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2GB RAM
Windows Vista Basic
*orange line down screen, DVD drive very noisy and buggy, right speaker out, a 'hole' where the webcame is suppose to be :rolleyes: , can't seem to get a good picture with my HP monitor?

Monitor:
stylish HP w1907
19" widescreen (1440x900)
1000:1 contrast ratio, 5ms...

make sure the monitor is the default viewing screen in display properties. i used to change mine manually, then set it as the default and now it works perfect

The only major con - other than Vista, is that you're limited on output resolution for a second monitor. You can't expect everything from a laptop - however it looks like I'm stuck with 1280x1024, unless there's a driver update to the video card (although it did recognize my monitor). I did expect more from 512 dedicated video, we'll see if I can find a driver that will help.
TOSHIBA Satellite A305-S6844 equipped with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, dedicated 512MB, dedicated card.​

Now back to my main questions, how come people have trouble getting monitors to have a GREAT picture with their fantastic laptops? Is it Vista? I'm still in a toss up for getting a laptop, or a desktop. I have no TV, my computer is literally my entertainment center.

Back
Top Bottom