Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default how to upgrade my case only??

I recently got a good deal on a nice little pc, an HP media center. It has a dual core athlon processor, 250gig hard drive, dual layer burners, etc. Only one problem - the case is so small that to open it up and try to add/change anything is nearly impossible. Everything is so tightly packed in there. Adding two sticks of ram was like doing dental surgery.

So my question is how easy/difficult would it be to just buy a nice big case and swap everything out of this one and into the big one? Bear in mind my knowlegdge level is pretty low on this. I've never built a computer or assembled/disassembled one.

Would it be wise to do it myself (carefully) or should I have an expert do it for me?

And I'm presuming that it isn't a problem to make such a change, am I right? Does changing the case have any other effects or will all this "HP" stuff work just the same in any case? Ha, 'in any case'...

Thanks in advance

Rob

RKeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Logan Send a message via MSN to Logan
Default Re: how to upgrade my case only??

my advice is as you take it apart to move it into a new case take carefull notes on how it is hooked up(hdd connected to ide cable 1, and write a "1" on it with a sharpie). even take a few pictures if you are nervous. andno the case has no effect on the hardware thats in it.

another thought occured to me, if the rig is very small it is prolly a micro ATX. just remember that when buying a new case. most ATX mid or full towers have holes for micros but i'm sure a few don't and it would suck if you happened to get one.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

nah, getting a new case wouldn't effect the hp stuff. just find a nice looking case on newegg, unscrew your powersupply and motherboard, and relocate them into the new case. it's a very easy procedure. plugging all the cords to the power supply back into the motherboard would probably take the most time. so before you decide to make this transplant i would suggest browsing online or studying a couple of manuals to get the jist of things in a computer. theres nothing worse than a dead computer due to the case.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to MarxSoccer Send a message via AIM to MarxSoccer Send a message via MSN to MarxSoccer Send a message via Yahoo to MarxSoccer

Yes, it could effect everything bigtime. Like Logan said, what you have might be MicroATX, in which if you bought a new ATX case, the motherboard wouldn't even align correctly.
MarxSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

don't most ATX cases come with the holes for mATX as well?
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

Quote:
don't most ATX cases come with the holes for mATX as well?
They do.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to drumthrasher Send a message via MSN to drumthrasher Send a message via Yahoo to drumthrasher

now i want a new case...my gateway gt4016 is kind of plane looking...
Old 06-26-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to The Amish Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarxSoccer
Yes, it could effect everything bigtime. Like Logan said, what you have might be MicroATX, in which if you bought a new ATX case, the motherboard wouldn't even align correctly.
Almost every ATX case has screws for mATX motherboards. Im not sure how easy it would be to take the powersupply out of the HP and put it in a different computer though.
AMD Opteron 165 CCBWE 0551@ 2.25ghz(250 x 9) 1.45v cooled w/ Thermaltake Big Typhoon | DFI LP Ultra D | eVGA 7800GT@ 465/1110 | Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | 2GB G. Skill DDR 500 @ 250mhz 3-4-4-8 | 80 GB SATA + 40GB SATA + 200GB IDE| 480w Thermaltake Silent purepower | Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case (Black) | Windows XP Pro |
The Amish Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #9
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to MarxSoccer Send a message via AIM to MarxSoccer Send a message via MSN to MarxSoccer Send a message via Yahoo to MarxSoccer

Alright thanks

MarxSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote