Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default How to tell what type of PC case you have

Hi All

I recently brought a PC that was cheap from PC World and when I decided to open it up I noticed it was all on board and the ethernet was not a GB so I can't max out my 120Mb connection, I was wondering how do I tell what type of case it so I can replace the motherboard and customise how I want.

darthlinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:48 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: How to tell what type of PC case you have

There are a few types of cases you can get, Read this article Types of Computer Cases and Motherboard Factors - Utilize Windows

Full Tower

Mid Tower

'

Mini Tower

Slim Line

Small Form Factor

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
Hi All

I recently brought a PC that was cheap from PC World and when I decided to open it up I noticed it was all on board and the ethernet was not a GB so I can't max out my 120Mb connection, I was wondering how do I tell what type of case it so I can replace the motherboard and customise how I want.
Does it have a model number? they're usually ATX motherboards if it's a desktop
Corsair Carbide spec 3 * Gigabyte Socket 1151 * Intel I5 7600k 3.8ghz * 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz * Corsair CX750 * 2gb Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Strix * 1TB internal Samsung spinpoint * Windows 10 home
emperor76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:21 AM   #4
Baseband Member

No model number as the motherboard is tiny and all on board I have a feeling its a mid tower but could be a full tower so confused
Old 02-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
No model number as the motherboard is tiny and all on board I have a feeling its a mid tower but could be a full tower so confused
Hmm, I was hoping being a pre-built it might have a model number for your computer on the case, micro atx is a smaller motherboard, although I've only ever seen one.
Corsair Carbide spec 3 * Gigabyte Socket 1151 * Intel I5 7600k 3.8ghz * 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz * Corsair CX750 * 2gb Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Strix * 1TB internal Samsung spinpoint * Windows 10 home
Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #6
Baseband Member

Yeah it tiny no extra PCI slot all on board graphics and lan on slots on there is for the RAM
Old 02-15-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Yeah it tiny no extra PCI slot all on board graphics and lan on slots on there is for the RAM
Does it say anything else on the case other than Tiny? for instance a Compaq might say Compaq Prescario. I'm struggling to find anything on them as sources online seem to suggest they went into administration some time ago. Also, do you have a way to check the specs, I was hoping the specs would make it easier for me to find out exactly which model, which operating system? in windows 7 right clicking my computer and pressing properties brings up details about your computer, or pressing start and typing system information, I'm guessing if your is quite old it will be an older operating system so I can't remember if the same things work.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
Baseband Member

It had Wndows 8 on it but I did put Windows 7 on the machine, the PC is at home so I will check then but its going away to PC hospital Sunday as the graphics has gone 5 months after I had it.