How to take a Screenshot Of DVD

deejayem

Solid State Member
hey everyone. i was tried to take a screen shot of a dvd which was playing on my computer, then pasted it in paint, but the picture was not displayed, it was just a black backgound.

is there a way where i can take a screen shot from the dvd, and paste it, and the image will actually be displayed?

thank you

Most DVD PCs, even those with software decoders, use video overlay hardware to insert the video directly into the VGA signal. This an efficient way to handle the very high bandwidth of full-motion video. Some decoder cards, such as the Creative Labs Encore Dxr series and the Sigma Designs Hollywood series, use a pass-through cable that overlays the video into the analog VGA signal after it comes out of the video display card. Video overlay uses a technique called colorkey to selectively replace a specified pixel color (often magenta or near-black) with video content. Anywhere a colorkey pixel appears in the computer graphics video, it's replaced by video from the DVD decoder. This process occurs "downstream" from the computer's video memory, so if you try to take a screenshot (which grabs pixels from video RAM), all you get is a solid square of the colorkey color.

DISABLE HARDWARE ACCELARATION.

im sure i used powerdvd to take a screenshot of a dvd i was playing ages ago... im sorry but i no longer have this program but maybe someone else can help. im sure i did it lol let us know if recons idea works too, cos i use hardware acceleration and i wouldnt mind takin screenshots to print etc.

good luck

that's normal because people have pirated movies by using a program that takes a screenshot of the movie every frame and then compiling the screenshots together to make the video, they then use another program to grab the audio off the movie and bam, you got a pirated movie. some dvd player software (or maybe the dvd itself) disables screenshots on the computer

Siphon said:
that's normal because people have pirated movies by using a program that takes a screenshot of the movie every frame and then compiling the screenshots together to make the video, they then use another program to grab the audio off the movie and bam, you got a pirated movie. some dvd player software (or maybe the dvd itself) disables screenshots on the computer

Wow, that must be old school, I would never go and do all that, just to have a copy...Now a days we all just use dvdshrink, works fine..

Back
Top Bottom