How to stop XP from reducing HDD performance when errors occur

Anubis1980

Daemon Poster
Does anyone know how to tell xp to stop reducing the HDD performance when errors occur? my sata is turned down to sata 1 speed, it seems to happen when i access anything that accesses the hdd's temp readings... Doesnt always happen but sometimes and its a pain to reboot etc. Im sure ive seen a reg edit option somewhere on the net but for the life of me i cant find it again.

Thanks

Why would you want to do this? If your getting errors, then you should be concentrating on fixing them. Whats the point ov your machine going faster if its causing loads of errors aswell, bit pointless IMO.

Thats the point im not getting any physical errors, it seems to be when i open Everest and sisoft and it looks at the HDD temp reading. Thats when it reduces the speed, my files and everything else are fine. I would be worried if i was getting corrupted files but im not.

Ok, well we need to work out why its slowing down, so can you look in event viewer for any related errors. Also, have you got any problems in device manager?

Overclocking can also make machines do strange things.

Note all your settings on paper, Restore the BIOS defaults on your machine, videocard ect..

then try to use everest ect...

PS i also noticed when using everest my PC would (hiccup) freeze for a milisecond, when pulling the Temp readings ect...

But once you have set your machine to the defaults you can have a solid base to work on finding the exact problem.

Weird thing is, the oc has been doing fine not a single problem for about 8 months, then i buy this new hdd and everest not always , but sometimes hates it! Im almost 100% sure it isnt the oc (play games for hours fine without a prob), but doing a bit more research it might be the Nvidia SATA drivers, anyone had any problems with these? a few peeps have said they arent too good.

And everything else in my pc is fine, device manager etc shows nothing out of the ordinary. Programs install fine, i can do my work ok, pc is on 24/7 and no problems.As for the event viewer few problems but ones a TCIP one and i know why that is, the other is win32 time... not sure what thats about. No HDD errors.

Yeah i did a new instal of everything and i installed the chipset drivers. Maybe worth doing them again could have got corrupted or something. Thanks

just a note for you.

When i installed mine all i installed was the chipset driver package (THE ONE IN THE LINK)

you may just want to try that.

Back
Top Bottom