how to start my window 98?

crystal.99

Beta member
Please help me!

I deleted some programs in order to make the computer runs faster. My computer goes wrong after I deleted the Norton AntiVirus software. So, my friends told me install the setup problem. I did but it still doesn't work.
I went to F8, command point and type “cd options”, “cabs”, setup, etc. Then it automatically install window 98 for me. After that, one window pop up and said I have restored a good registry. Next window it said the following system files have been replaced with older versions by a program I recently ran. These files are currently in use and can't be automatically repaired. C:\WINDOW\SYSTEM\joy.cpl and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL.DLL
Next screen said NAV Realtime Protection is unable to start! System.386 is not loaded. I may need to reinstall Norton AntiVirus to correct the problem.
Even though I put my Norton software in my drive, it doesn't work. So I restart my computer and get the following message.
Can't find a device file that may be need to run Windows or a Window application.
The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file regers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA`1\STMANTEC\SYMEUNT.386
My problems is I can't open my window 98, internet, or other programs. I have some very important documents in my computer. What should I do? How can I fix it? If you know, please help me. I'm appreciated.

crystal.99 said:
Please help me!

I deleted some programs in order to make the computer runs faster. My computer goes wrong after I deleted the Norton AntiVirus software. So, my friends told me install the setup problem. I did but it still doesn't work.
I went to F8, command point and type “cd options”, “cabs”, setup, etc. Then it automatically install window 98 for me. After that, one window pop up and said I have restored a good registry. Next window it said the following system files have been replaced with older versions by a program I recently ran. These files are currently in use and can't be automatically repaired. C:\WINDOW\SYSTEM\joy.cpl and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL.DLL
Next screen said NAV Realtime Protection is unable to start! System.386 is not loaded. I may need to reinstall Norton AntiVirus to correct the problem.
Even though I put my Norton software in my drive, it doesn't work. So I restart my computer and get the following message.
Can't find a device file that may be need to run Windows or a Window application.
The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file regers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA`1\STMANTEC\SYMEUNT.386
My problems is I can't open my window 98, internet, or other programs. I have some very important documents in my computer. What should I do? How can I fix it? If you know, please help me. I'm appreciated.
You seem to know how to get here and not wreck this computer,
Put you hd in there and make some cd-r's or

See your PM.

when your computer starts to boot-Ie the black screen bounce the f8 key up and down untill you get another dos screen-select using the key board arrows boot into safe mode. Hit enter to select it. After the computer boots and you have a desktop put your norton cd in the cdrom drive. Double click on the my computer icon, then select your cd drive by double clicking and the norton should go if not double click on the setup icon-Reinstall norton.
After reinstalling norton then try reinstalling win98 the same way. Reboot at the end of the win98 setup and you should be back to normal.
You cannot just delete folders-If you want something gone you have to uninstall it from the control panel.

Back
Top Bottom