How to restore from XXClone

PeterPan

Beta member
Hello

I have crashed my computer. I am able to boot, but the system freezes after loading, and my program files are really in bad shape.

Now:

When my C: was working properly, I made a backup with the clone program XXClone.

I made a 100 % identical backup in all possible ways, and I of course made it bootable.

I cloned C: to the main partition of one of my external hard disks (let us call it X: for practical purposes).

In order to fix my current, corrupt C:, I would believe that I could do the following:

1. Start my original machine (I'm writing this from my secondary machine), and let it boot from X:

2. Since X: is a 100 % identical copy of the previously 100 % working C:, then this boot will work as if I booted my previous healthy C:, and I will be able to access all my programs, and they will work ok

3. Then I can start XXClone – which is installed as a functioning program on my X: (which the machine – for all practical purposes – now think is C:)

4. Then I can make an identical copy from X: to C:. I.e. I take the “healthy” C: copy (which is X:) and clones it over the partly destroyed C:, and thereby I will be left with a “new” working C:

Will this not be logical?

I have no experience with XXClone, but all the cloning software I've used works like this:
Run the cloning app from a bootable CD or USB flash drive and create an image file. For example, select C:\ and set to create an image file called "Cdrive.img". The file extension used will depend on the cloning software being used. To restore, boot from cloning app CD or USB drive again and this time select "restore image from file" or something similar. Select "Cdrive.img" and then select the partition you want to overwrite (your original C drive in this case). Once the restore process is done you should be able to reboot into your newly reimaged C drive. If you are unable to boot from the hard drive, then you'll need to boot from a CD containing partitioning software (such as Parted Magic), select the newly reimaged partition and set the boot flag (also called "set active"). This should make the partition bootable.

Back
Top Bottom