How to remove spyware

insomniac1

Baseband Member
***This may want to be stickied***

Let me just point out before I post this that this was not written by me. Posted by another member on a different forum (htmlforums), this guy is very smart (so smart in fact that I'm convinced that he's the current 36-day champ on Jeopardy! :p )

I have seen a growing interest posted here in the last few months. So I thought it to be wise to post a short tutorials that I hope may help some of those that are unfortunate to have been bitten by this big bug.

first you can try some free software.

Spoybot: Search and Destroy and Ad-aware are a couple of the good ones. Make sure you update those pieces of software to get the maximum protection.

Some extra settings: in spybot go into advanced mode and then settings. in settings you want to set the scan priority to higher. This adds to your protection. most people miss this.

those will get rid of most of them but some are a little trickier.

to get rid of the CoolWebSearch bar you can try this:

Download CWShredder at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

Run CWShredder, check you have the current version by clicking check for update and let it update
Close all browser windows, click on the cwshredder.exe then click "FIX" (Not "Scan only") and let it do its thing.

I will also advice in removing any toolbar extras you have. those are also considered spyware. so stuff like ask jeeves or the googlebar toolbars should be removed.

if this doesn't work please download HiJackThis and then post the info it shows you in a new thread. someone will be along to help you.

**This is not meant to stop any spyware from ever being added again to your system. It is up to you to surf wisely. I recommend scanning at least once a week if you run Internet Explorer. I also recommend to use another browser like Opera or Mozilla/Firefox. Or you can turn off ActiveX in Internet Explorer to help in your journey's. Tools->internet options->security tab->custom level**

**If you disable ActiveX in IE you will need to add
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to your Trusted Sites (Tools --> Internet Options --> Security -- Trusted Sites --> Sites --> uncheck require HTTPS for sites in this zone and add above URL).**

Here is the URL if you're interested in seeing the actual post or if you would like to check out htmlforums: http://www.htmlforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=40870

Hope this helps

insomniac said:
***This may want to be stickied***

Let me just point out before I post this that this was not written by me. Posted by another member on a different forum (htmlforums), this guy is very smart (so smart in fact that I'm convinced that he's the current 36-day champ on Jeopardy! :p )

Here is the URL if you're interested in seeing the actual post or if you would like to check out htmlforums: http://www.htmlforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=40870

Hope this helps

So whats the point ????

So whats the point ???? x 10000000000000000000000000000

I don't need this,do you have a problem ?

I was just trying to point out that this guy knows what he's doing in case anyone had any doubts.

insomniac said:
I was just trying to point out that this guy knows what he's doing in case anyone had any doubts.
Anybody with half a brain won't click these links unless they have a positive place to go.Yours are Negative.
:eek:

Wow, what a jerk, but I guess every forum will have its [editted bottom reference]. Anyhow, if you think I'm trying to spam or whatever you can go to hell. Quite frankly I don't give a damn what you think, performing a simple search on google will point out that htmlforums is indeed a forum. I was trying to be helpful, and hopefully other people will take what I have to post as useful.

EDIT: I apologize Bluto, I didn't know that you were a jerk by nature and a lost cause, I just checked out the Ban Bluto Post, I guess being a trucker can do that to you... It's ok, Jesus still loves you my friend :cool:

I would prefer not to Stick a Link to another Forum - but it is a good piece of information. I do however trust in the ability of the people on this Forum to sort out things like this.

If anybody wishes to write out a post like this however, I would be more than happy to stick it for them.

Back
Top Bottom