Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default How to open in PDF file?

I am trying to open a file at work and when i do a message comes up an says " the file C:\documents and settings\mydocuments\adobe Acknowledge-ments\CB09-00025797.asc may contain programs, macros, or viruses that could harm your computer" It gives me the option to open this file, or always allow opening files of this type, or never allow opening files of this type. I click open file and then ok and then another error message comes up saying "this file does not have a program associated with it for this action. create an association in the folder options control panel" also when trying to click on the attachment error says "Windows cannot find this file, to open file windows needs to know what program created it. windows can go online to look it up, or u can manually select it" So i click use the web service to find program and what comes up is how to open an ASC file, which im guessing this is that type of file ASC but it should be PDF. Sorry for the long story, but i need help with this. If no one knows the answer do you know a good website that can help?

valley_girl1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Default Re: How to open in PDF file?

If you are trying to open PDF, then get adobe acrobat.

Account no longer active. Contact info available in profile, if anyone cares to reach me.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

What type of file are you trying to open? You should be able to right click it and select properties. That should tell you what it is.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Golden Master

maybe u need this?

You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

the .asc file should be able to be opened with most text editors, try Wordpad or Notepad

It is not a .pdf file

Files with an extension of ".ASC" are usually ASCII text files, similar to the TXT file format. For Windows, while double-clicking an "ASC" file does not normally open Notepad, these files can normally be viewed with such a tool.

Windows users: NOTE that unless you have configured your computer with the file extension viewing tweak, it is possible that a filename that looks like it ends with ".asc", especially one attached to an e-mail message, actually has a hidden OTHER extension, meaning that if you double-click the file, it may actually run a computer virus!
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote