How often should you turn off your laptop?

mx7

Solid State Member
I was wondering how often should I turn off my laptop to cool it down? Unlike desktops, which can be pretty much for on for days and months, is there a difference in laptops?

Leave your computer on ONLY if you have good reason to do so (desktops & laptops). If you are going to be using your PC at frequent intervals, or expect network traffic (especially at work), then leave it on, more for the convenience than anything else. Otherwise shut it down.

I happen to use my PC a lot so I leave it on all day and turn it off at night. Same goes with a laptop if I ever see the need for one. You shouldn't have any cooling problems with a well built laptop.

yes, and by all means, have it so that the LAN does'nt wake up the computer when something comes in.

or your computer can be hacked all night long !!

Its not the security problem that I'm worried about...its about the hardware overheating. Would it be alright if I leave my laptop on stright for a week in a normal room temperature environment?

It's probably better to leave your computer on idle for a while than cut it off right after you're finished. Though it will still create heat, things should cool off better with the fans going...

I cut all my computers off at night mostly because of heat and noise in my room. My laptop is the same, I don't care to leave it on all day, but I also unplug it most of the time. Then again, mine gets much more hot than most laptops out there... Heck, it has 3 fans!(2 in the system, one in the PS)

Back
Top Bottom