How much RAM do I need now / for the future?

woody84

Baseband Member
I kind of asked this question in another thread but thought it may be a good discussion by itself.

I'm looking into getting a ASUS laptop, but they are only capable of 4G of RAM. I know this is fine for now, but I'm hoping to keep this laptop for 5 / 7 years and still be productive with it.

I want to run windows 7 64bit.
Mainly using it for multimedia burning DVDs, Office work, some "simple" gaming.

Is 4G going to be enough for a while into the future? Or is selling a laptop upgradable to 8G just a way to make more money?

What kind of RAM is required for W7 anyway. I am not talking minimum.....I am talking comfortable.....

4gb is plenty unless you are doing extreme gaming. In 5-7 years, 4gb will still be enough, it just will be like if you had, say, 2gb now-- not top of the line but enough for everything to run.

4gb is plenty unless you are doing extreme gaming. In 5-7 years, 4gb will still be enough, it just will be like if you had, say, 2gb now-- not top of the line but enough for everything to run.

Don't say that will be enough in 5-7 years. Until Microsoft comes out with a new OS in 3 years, having 4GB of RAM will be comfortable for you. For basic stuff, you should be able to go 5-7 years, but it's highly unlikely with a laptop unless you take care of it extremely well.

I think 4GB RAM is far enough for the coming 4 years for you. Actually, Windows 7 only needs 1GB RAM to run smoothly. I don't think you want to use a computer for more than 7 years. Because all the devices will take tears and wears, and computer will have a lot of problems. It's better to change for a new one

Back
Top Bottom