how much longer will this last

mikee

Fully Optimized
Lately I have been noticing my dads computer is getting a little old. it was bought in 2003

he has a pentium 4 2.66ghz, 80gb hdd, 1gb ram, via s3 unichrome pro video 64mb shared, xp pro sp3

recently he bought a 19" widescreen monitor to replace an old 15" crt. Now sometimes video performance suffers but he mainly uses the computer for email, facebook and basic internet stuff but he will try and watch a video if he gets emailed one and sometimes it lags but plays fine on my computer.

so I come here to ask, how many more years could we get out of this pc u tihnk?
could the lag in video be due to the new monitor?

if its a desktop which i thinkg it is, (after searching ive only got lappys fof the GFX card) do you defrag> do you do maintenence? also you can uopgrade your gfx card if you thin thats whats killing it (im not sure but it would free up 64 mb of ram. your pc is fine for now as long as your not gaming and its just office work that pc is more than fine.

its just used for email internet, facebook youtube but sometimes my dad gets emailed a video and trys to watch it and most of the time it lags but not always

i have registry mechanic for registry, avg for antivirus , spybot for spyware ccleaner for disk cleanup.

I just want this to last until windows 7 when I get a new computer and give my dad this one.

Yea, that ol' thing should be able to hang till then. You could always toss a cheapo AGP card in that thing that will improve the video playback exponentially over the on-board graphics.

well im looking through my dads videos now and some of them are 720p which he didn't tell me!! if he even knows what 720p is but also his drivers are sorta old. I scanned with pcpitstop.com and it said there was slow 2d and 3d video performance too. I have an old geforceti4200 I could try also, should it be able to handle the 720p vids without lagging too bad?

Don't know if your UK or not, but the GPU in the link is the kinda thing you need, it's cheap, and will work well for your purposes, if not that exact one, then that's at least a guide to the part of the spectrum you need aim for, you need not spend much more money than that.

LINK

With GPU upgraded to run modern sites, there's not much more you need to keep that PC running for another 4-5 years (although if it were me I'd be looking to replace sooner, but my needs are obviously different.), apart from keeping it maintained and the HDD clean, that is since you've only 80gb and already 5yrs of stuff on it just don't keep things you don't need.

Back
Top Bottom