how to make your own usb to tv adapter?

sneaky1

Baseband Member
I'm interested in making a usb (or modifying one) that when plugged in a tv, it will play the video files (like avi). The tv's that i have will only play pictures and music from the plugged in usb. But I am wondering if its possible to modify a usb (maybe hardware or software wise) that will do this task... Maybe i would need more than a simple usb (i also have a hdmi cable and the tv's have hdmi ports, also i dont have a laptop)?

Anyways is this possible to do without using like around over 30$ ?

If anyone knows a way and wouldn't mind showing it here it would be really helpful, because currently i would have to take my desktop and attach it with vga+rca audio cables, which is a pain...

But really i want to build it, not order/buy the device, since i am also interested in building things...

it depends on what formats your tv accepts and then you need to make any video you want to watch have that format

if the tv only supports music and pictures then no you can't, i suggest read the manual and if there is no mention of playing video files through a usb then you can't do it if it mentions it then it should tell you what file types can be played

the tv has a usb port which only plays music and pictures, and i know it wont play video files...

What i am asking is if its possible to make a device (i dont know, maybe with the help of soldering, maybe using a hdmi cable somewhere, etc...) that will allow you to connect a usb to it, then connect the device to the tv, and make it play videos.

Basically making a media hub....
If anyone has any experience with this stuff, it would help.

If you are an electronics engineer it shouldn't be a problem. If you arn't then you might consider something like the Buffalo LinkTheater High-Definition Media Player It has USB ports in front and rear that you can plug an external hard disk or thumb drive in and play video from. More importantly, it can play video from network attached storage, or computers on your local network.

Back
Top Bottom