How long will this last?

the deceived

In Runtime
I just recently read James007's thread on how long his system will last him, and well after reading some of your replies, I was wondering if my setup will last me my university course of 4 years? jac006 said that it could lat him a max of 4 years, and I think mine will but basically just need reassuring on the subject. Here's the setup:

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ Socket 939 512KB
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLi-DR Motherboard
RAM: OCZ 2Gb (2 x 1Gb) Dual Channel Platinum Series DDR400
Hard Disk Drive Maxtor Diamondmax 250Gb SATA 7200rpm 16Mb Cache
Graphics Card: XFX nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 256Mb (Core Clock Speed: 450MHz/Memory: 1250MHz)
PSU: Enermax 600W Noisetaker
DVD RW: NEC ND-3540A Black Dual Layer 16x DVD+/-RW
Floppy Disk Drive: Sony 3.5" FDD
Control Display: Black Coolermaster Aerogate 2 Fan Controller

Case: Extreme Gaming Spider Case
Screen: Viewsonic VX924 19" TFT LCD 4ms Response Time
Mouse: Logitech MX518
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse
Speakers: Creative Inspire 5.1 P5800 Speakers
Operating System: Windows Professional

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Well u can't predict the future and from what the system looks like I would gues that u want to play some of the newest games. That system will definately last for 2 years. But I don't know about 4, if no dramatic advancements are made I think that ur pc will last 4 years, and it's not so hard to upgrade since u can just put more ram inside or another gpu since u already have a mobo that is capable of these upgrades.

daemon said:
Well u can't predict the future and from what the system looks like I would gues that u want to play some of the newest games. That system will definately last for 2 years. But I don't know about 4, if no dramatic advancements are made I think that ur pc will last 4 years, and it's not so hard to upgrade since u can just put more ram inside or another gpu since u already have a mobo that is capable of these upgrades.

That's exactly what I was thinking! I mean in like 2 years time, a 7800 GTX might be around the £150 mark, and I can always add another dual channel set of 2Gb.

So basically in two years time, I might be looking a putting another graphics card in, and possible more RAM?

If that's the case, then I'm over the moon! :)

Thanks daemon!

the deceived said:
I just recently read James007's thread on how long his system will last him, and well after reading some of your replies, I was wondering if my setup will last me my university course of 4 years? jac006 said that it could lat him a max of 4 years, and I think mine will but basically just need reassuring on the subject. Here's the setup:

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ Socket 939 512KB
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLi-DR Motherboard
RAM: OCZ 2Gb (2 x 1Gb) Dual Channel Platinum Series DDR400
Hard Disk Drive Maxtor Diamondmax 250Gb SATA 7200rpm 16Mb Cache
Graphics Card: XFX nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 256Mb (Core Clock Speed: 450MHz/Memory: 1250MHz)
PSU: Enermax 600W Noisetaker
DVD RW: NEC ND-3540A Black Dual Layer 16x DVD+/-RW
Floppy Disk Drive: Sony 3.5" FDD
Control Display: Black Coolermaster Aerogate 2 Fan Controller

Case: Extreme Gaming Spider Case
Screen: Viewsonic VX924 19" TFT LCD 4ms Response Time
Mouse: Logitech MX518
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse
Speakers: Creative Inspire 5.1 P5800 Speakers
Operating System: Windows Professional

Thanks in advance for all your help!

are you kidding?? you've got the newest technology in your cpu (dual core) and you have the latest and greatest video card (7800 GTX), your computer will last as long as you want to keep it.

Tommy Boy said:
are you kidding?? you've got the newest technology in your cpu (dual core) and you have the latest and greatest video card (7800 GTX), your computer will last as long as you want to keep it.

Haha, well I know most of my computer has some new technology in it, but I've only really understood what goes on inside a comp for like a month, and I don;t know how long this technology will last with the way the market is growing exponentially!

Thanks for the re-assurance though!

Tommy Boy said:

Well let's say u bought a really good pc in the year 2000. And since then u haven't done a single update on the hardware. I will bet that it won't run games like BF2 and F.E.A.R with the maximum graphic settings. It will only have like 512 ram and something like a 9800pro and those just ain't enough.

daemon said:
Well let's say u bought a really good pc in the year 2000. And since then u haven't done a single update on the hardware. I will bet that it won't run games like BF2 and F.E.A.R with the maximum graphic settings. It will only have like 512 ram and something like a 9800pro and those just ain't enough.

I didn't mean no upgrades at all, I just meant the big ones like cpu and motherboard, sure you can add more ram in the future if you like, and a better gpu in a few years and it will be just fine.

and for the money you paid for it, I wouln't want to build another one of those anytime soon.

yea, I don't think I'll be spending much money on it for at least a year, and so I'll just upgrade when needed!

Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom