How long should I expect a burned DVD to last?

mitts2010

Baseband Member
I just put a bunch of old video tapes onto DVD (12 DVDs in total). How long should I expect those discs to last so I know when I should transfer them? Unfortunately I used a cheaper brand DVD, but they all burned fine, and I have used about 40 of the same brand DVD without a single burning issue.

Oh, and if I do decide to transfer them all to my computer, is there a way I can compress them? Right now I use DVD shrink and it can shrink the 2 hour DVD down to 2.34GB, but to put all 12 on my computer is too much.

Because the actual media is sugar based film it won't last forever. I've read 50 years with proper care. Stored in the dark in a stable enviroment. I do a double copy back up of my disc's. One is put up and the other is used.

That must get spendy with DVD-Rs

MMmm...well it can, I just hate not knowing how long they are going to last. Ideally I would want absolutely everything on my computer, that way it is easy to access everything and keep track of things. I just wish there was a backup solution that would guarantee my data safe.

MMmm...well it can, I just hate not knowing how long they are going to last. Ideally I would want absolutely everything on my computer, that way it is easy to access everything and keep track of things. I just wish there was a backup solution that would guarantee my data safe.

Personally, I would say get a high capacity external hard drive, and back up to it once a month.

And keep it in one of those fire proof boxes under your bed or some such thing.

Back
Top Bottom