Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-21-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default How to know compatible motherboards for CPU

Hello,

My computer's motherboard broke on me, so I need to buy a new one. I want to keep most of the PC's parts including the CPU since they're all in good working order. The processor is an Intel PentiumD 925 (P) DC. I contacted Intel to ask them which of their motherboards were compatible and it seems there are very, very few. But how do I find out which motherboards manufactured by other companies are compatible? I mean, is there an easy way for me to determine if a particular motherboard is compatible with my processor? What info do I look for? Chipset or what?

Thanks for all help

Jennifer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: How to know compatible motherboards for CPU

Well, I'm going to assume here that you own a Dell. Probably a Dimension E520?

We need to know your computer's make and model so we can determine the form factor. This will really narrow down what to buy.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Beta Member

Hi,

I'm not so much looking for any particular board for my computer as much as I'm just basically trying to learn the principles in choosing a compatible motherboard/cpu. I know that first, you have to choose the right form factor (in my case, either an ATX or uATX). I just don't know what to look for after that. I'm pretty sure the "socket type" must also be the same. But if the form factor and socket type are compatible with any particular CPU, are there any other criteria that needs to be considered?

Thanks
Jennifer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Baseband Member

well video card amke sure it fits in new motherboard and make sure memory fits in that motehrboard... if its old motherboard id say get new memory. but for finding motherboard and cpu fit together we are gonna need to know your price range and what kind of motehrboard you want....
Scpy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer94 View Post
Hi,

I'm not so much looking for any particular board for my computer as much as I'm just basically trying to learn the principles in choosing a compatible motherboard/cpu. I know that first, you have to choose the right form factor (in my case, either an ATX or uATX). I just don't know what to look for after that. I'm pretty sure the "socket type" must also be the same. But if the form factor and socket type are compatible with any particular CPU, are there any other criteria that needs to be considered?

Thanks
Yep, there are some things, not much though. Get a list of all the motherboards out there (Go to http://www.newegg.com/) Once you have all your motherboards, click on the right left side and click "Intel" so it only gives you Intel Boards. Then find your socket type. The way to do this is to tell us what CPU you have. Download CPUID and it will tell you what CPU you have. Once you get that post it here and we will find out what socket you have. Then we can see which ones you can have. After that we will have to find what kind of RAM you have, including if it is DDR or DDR2 or even DDR3. Once we know which one you have we can narrow it down to the ones that support that RAM.
Let's take this step by step. Download CPUID and tell us what processor you have, I will try to find you some boards.
4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM... 640 gig hard drive
Gigabyte Ud4P-MA790x
Whyfly?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
The processor is an Intel PentiumD 925 (P) DC.