How important is it to flash your bios?

d_source

Daemon Poster
I havent done one update on my mobo bios, therefore i believe its still on version # 1002, and asus has released v.#1010. How important is it to flash the bios and will that help me to OC better? What are the risks and how hard is it.
Mobo type: A8N SLI deluxe

THX.

The general consensus is unless you have a problem with the bios leave it alone. It's not difficult but one misstep turns your machine into a doorstop.

I do think many comps have ways to revert your bios if you mess something up... I know one of my computers as it died, one time I got a Bios checksum error and it asked for a floppy disk with the bios image on it.

The only time anyone should be messing around with flashing the BIOS is when there is leading indications that support that there may be problems dealing with it.
The bios is fragile and should not be messed with just to be doing it as it can destroy your board if you mess up
While there are bios chips that can be replaced relatively easy with the newer plug in bios, It is still best to err on the safe side of caution.
Whether or not it will allow you to overclock better is kind of depenent upon the bios update itself.
There are utillities that will help you flash your bios and it has become a lot easier than what it was in the past.
Please go to your mobo manufacturer's site to see what type of bios was installed in your mobo as there are different types and look for the flash utillity that is recommended. As in editing the registry ...always back up before you jump.

Thanks for the responses. On my old machine, i had it for 4 yrs and never updated once and it always worke fine. This machine is problem free and i willo just leave it alone as well, as they say, no need to fix something that isnt broken.
ASUS A8N SLI comes with an easier than most bios updating utility tat you can use right in a windows environment. Even still, i wont be touching, no sense.
THX.

d_source said:
Thanks for the responses. On my old machine, i had it for 4 yrs and never updated once and it always worke fine. This machine is problem free and i willo just leave it alone as well, as they say, no need to fix something that isnt broken.
ASUS A8N SLI comes with an easier than most bios updating utility tat you can use right in a windows environment. Even still, i wont be touching, no sense.
THX.

thats the ticket :)

HI d_source,

IMHO you did yourself a great favor - you asked us first for advice before trying it. I've have seen threads where people regretted doing this.

I used Asus Update when I flashed mine, it was so easy and quick. it only takes a few seconds to actually flash the bios, thats the part where it can screw it up. but asus update backs up the bios for you. but anyway......yeah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Abit seems to have a good setup that allows you to do it within windows and all, or that's a feature on my AN8. You could also back up your old bios on you harddrive as I guess it only affects it when you reboot...

I always try to ask before doing anything that i dotn know to much about. If i would have done it first and f*ked it up then found out that its not recomended i would have had to kick myself in the arse twice, and its already hard reaching back there once with my foot ;)

Back
Top Bottom