Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to 88
Default Re: How good is DSL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMcG67
I've only ever used DSL at home, and I can honestly say, "it sucks." Try getting FiOS instead. If you're moving into a townhouse area they should already have it hooked up. I'm actually ordering FiOS within the next hour. So I'll let you know how it turns out within the next week. But, I'm saying you should try to find an alternative to DSL, it's unreliable and quite slow some of the time. I just don't want you to waste your money on a crappy product.
That would be awesome if you could let me know how that goes. That'll leave another option for internet. I read a little bit about FiOS but I wasn't able to figure out how it is connected to a computer? What sort of wall jack does it use? I sort of get the impression that it uses a phone line. If that is the case then I might definitely have to consider it.

edit - n/m i did a thing to see if FiOS is offered in my area (i am about 5-10 min away from the townhouses i speak of) and it says it is currently unavailable in my area. I don't see why because I know they have run fiber optic lines all around here.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to ♂R Send a message via MSN to ♂R Send a message via Yahoo to ♂R

I use DSL and I think that it is pretty great! I have Earthlink dsl and it is extremly relible and FAST! With average download speeds of around 220 kbps and ...uhh...yeah, it depends on how close you are to the origination of the jack(somthing like that) and your provider, I have heard that Verizon is good and Earthlink is one of the best!

Old 03-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

dsl is fine, it all depends on what company u go with and what package u ask for, if u go online and check out your options that will tell u the speed of the internet so u can get something just as fast if not faster as your cable internet now
Old 03-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
Baseband Member

I use cable internet, i have a 2.5 MB/s download speed, and its turely amazing, The only thing that slows me down is the server's internet speed :P

If DSL uses CAT5 cable you should be able to use the DSL hookup box's with a router? im not sure ive never delt with them before, but i use a router and run CAT5 cable to all of the computers in my home.
joelk989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #15
Fully Optimized

i have a 5mb/s download speed
Old 03-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

mm.. i use verizon dsl. i dont like it very much. but i get better ping in games than most of my cable friends. the way i see it, dsl is alot more stable. but cable is faster. uh.. i'd go with fiber optic internet lol. nah dsl is fine i think.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #17
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Will

DSL pwns cable... nuff said
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #18
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

You'd want to get DSL if your house doesn't have cable hookups in it since the DSL comes through the phone lines and all you need is a DSL modem which the company will provide and you can share it with 2 or more pc's with a router. DSL can be faster or slower depending on how far away from the DSL hub you are and the quality of the phone lines. I feel that DSL is an excellent choice. One of the advantages of DSL over cable is that DSL doesn't slow down when there is high network traffic since you have your own dedicated phone line. Cable slows down when there is high network traffic, like at peak hours. You can get DSL speeds that are as fast or faster than cable speeds, all depends on how much you want to spend.
I have DSL and it's really the only thing available to me. Anything is better than dialup.....thats what I always say.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

I have dsl, and I can download between 150 and 200 kbps. I usually make big downloads durning the night, so the speed ins't mush of an issue for me, but the telephone line being free is.
Rubber314Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #20
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
DSL pwns cable... nuff said

You really used alot of points to prove your main point in that post.

I love cable...when downloading torrents I have gotten up to 500kbs steady through a 1gb torrent...

on direct downloads uncapped I get 610kbs almost all the time pending on the server.

Also my ping in a server almost 4,000 miles away is about 100....I can't ask for anything better.

Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote