How to ensure I wont lose my data when I send my laptop to warranty

shakey1991

Beta member
Hi guys,

As stated in the title I am sending my computer away to warranty and want to make sure that I wont lose all of my data. I am moving all my files eg microsoft word documents, pdf files to my portable hard drive.

Is it possible to backup all data PLUS the programs I have installed eg defraggler, vlc player, guitar pro 5 etc

I have been looking at creating a bootdisk but am not sure if that what they are meant for.

Any advice?

Hi guys,

As stated in the title I am sending my computer away to warranty and want to make sure that I wont lose all of my data. I am moving all my files eg microsoft word documents, pdf files to my portable hard drive.

Is it possible to backup all data PLUS the programs I have installed eg defraggler, vlc player, guitar pro 5 etc

I have been looking at creating a bootdisk but am not sure if that what they are meant for.

Any advice?

Bootdisks wont be necessary.
They're primarily used to boot to windows if the windows installed on your HDD crashes.
Do you have Windows 7?
If so there should be a backup and restore option that comes with Windows 7

Buy an external drive, use something like Acronis or Ghost for Linux (it comes with the Hirens Boot CD) and clone your drive before you send the system off. System manufacturers are notorious for wiping a system in the name of "troubleshooting" to isolate your system's issue. If you send the system off, expect that your data will be gone when you get the system back. There ARE exceptions, but for the most part, you should definitely count on the drive coming back wiped.

Back
Top Bottom