Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #41
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to X1337 Send a message via MSN to X1337
Default Re: How to Enable your L2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX
I dont know, but I lied. I went ahead and did it. Seems to actually have a slight effect. Im going to add this here
http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=35435
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Other_One
I'll try to find the link sometime... I'm just going off what someone told me, and he quoted it from a site. Do some googling, I'm sure you'll find it as well...
Doesnt matter.. Still try it it mit do somthing to your computer or do nothing

Old 05-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #42
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to The_Other_One

...If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256 KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size.... This is not related to the hardware; it is only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct- mapped L2 caches. SecondLevelDataCache can increase performance by approximately 2 percent in certain cases for older computers with ample memory (more than 64 MB) by scattering physical pages better in the address space so there are not so many L2 cache collisions...

Actually, I seem to of been wrong about the Pentium III! Some of your might recall, OLD processors basically had no cache on the die. Rather, it's directly on the motherboard and/or on a riser card...

They get me from 0 to 1...
Old 05-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #43
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Other_One
...If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256 KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size.... This is not related to the hardware; it is only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct- mapped L2 caches. SecondLevelDataCache can increase performance by approximately 2 percent in certain cases for older computers with ample memory (more than 64 MB) by scattering physical pages better in the address space so there are not so many L2 cache collisions...

Actually, I seem to of been wrong about the Pentium III! Some of your might recall, OLD processors basically had no cache on the die. Rather, it's directly on the motherboard and/or on a riser card...
Like I said
Doesnt matter.. Still try it it mit do somthing to your computer or do nothing
Old 05-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #44
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

ahh mine is only 128k. thats s**t! thanks for the help
Old 05-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #45
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

that prog also tells me my motherboard manufacturer. i tried to use that to o/c my cpu using clock gen but it hasnt seemed to do anything. stupid compaq pc!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #46
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

X800, where did you get this info anyways?
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 05-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #47
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to uid=[0]

Here are a few good sites to find info like that for example, as well as other nice tips and tricks.

http://www.tweakxp.com/

http://alexfeinman.com/ <--seems to be down right now.
Wireless Network Security Spec.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #48
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX
X800, where did you get this info anyways?
I was bord. so I looked in the REGEDIT..and found that.. and I put 256 for my cpu and it went faster
Old 05-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #49
Wizard of Wires

The PC Guide Discussion Forums provides this info concerning that>>>

L2 cache tweak

This is only used for pre-Pentium 2 chips with direct-mapped L2 caches. The HAL in XP will correctly identify your L2 cache on any P2 or later processor (AMD included). This registry entry is not utilized for these later chips, so the value set is pointless.

From Microsoft Knowledge Base:

SecondLevelDataCache records the size of the processor cache, also known as the secondary or L2 cache. If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256 KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size. This entry is designed as a secondary source of cache size information for computers on which the HAL cannot detect the L2 cache.
This is not related to the hardware; it is only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct- mapped L2 caches.

I know I said I was done here but I can not sit by while bogus BS is handed out as gospell. This "tweak" is totally unwarranted on modern CPU's.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #50
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
The PC Guide Discussion Forums provides this info concerning that>>>

L2 cache tweak

This is only used for pre-Pentium 2 chips with direct-mapped L2 caches. The HAL in XP will correctly identify your L2 cache on any P2 or later processor (AMD included). This registry entry is not utilized for these later chips, so the value set is pointless.

From Microsoft Knowledge Base:

SecondLevelDataCache records the size of the processor cache, also known as the secondary or L2 cache. If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256 KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size. This entry is designed as a secondary source of cache size information for computers on which the HAL cannot detect the L2 cache.
This is not related to the hardware; it is only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct- mapped L2 caches.

I know I said I was done here but I can not sit by while bogus BS is handed out as gospell. This "tweak" is totally unwarranted on modern CPU's.

so?

Closed Thread