Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default How does WINE work on linux??

im thinking of downloading wine for ubuntu so i can some games on it with out the buggyness of windows vista. Can some1 explain how it works and how to get it running after i install it plz.

Work PC(converting to Ubuntu soon) 2.8 GHz Celeron, 756mb ram, 160GB HDD, Intel Intergraded GPU
Tofu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl
Default Re: How does WINE work on linux??

Typing 'wine' followed by the name of the application is how you start them running. So, for example, if you inserted a CD-ROM and the setup file was called 'Setup', you would do something like this (though it might depend on your system - on mine the DVD-ROM drive is loacted at /media/cdrom - yours may not be):

Code:
cd /media/cdrom
wine Setup
And this would start the installer. Install as you normally would under Windows, then when it is complete you should be able to run it. Wine may have created an entry in your menu under 'Applications' and you can run things you install from here. Alternatively, you can run them from the terminal. Say I had just installed Morrowind. To run it from the terminal, I would type:

Code:
wine Morrowind

Be warned, though - Wine doesn't work for everything and you might have to put in some serious work to get some games and applications running. You can find a wealth of information (including details of how others got games to run) in the AppDB. http://appdb.winehq.org/

Good luck

Denthúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Ty man. i got another quick question, whenever i try using the terminal, after i type the command i says sudomattpassword and it wont let me type. Is this normal? (im new to the programing side of linux

Work PC(converting to Ubuntu soon) 2.8 GHz Celeron, 756mb ram, 160GB HDD, Intel Intergraded GPU
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Team

You need to type your password - it won't show up because of security Just hit enter when you're done.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu007 View Post
Ty man. i got another quick question, whenever i try using the terminal, after i type the command i says sudomattpassword and it wont let me type. Is this normal? (im new to the programing side of linux
Are you prefixing whatever command you type with 'sudo', or is it doing that anyway?
Denthúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
Baseband Member

Ty Denthúl but the guy above u awnsered my question bout the termainal issue, but thanks for ur help