How does WINE work on linux??

Tofu007

Baseband Member
im thinking of downloading wine for ubuntu so i can some games on it with out the buggyness of windows vista. Can some1 explain how it works and how to get it running after i install it plz.

Typing 'wine' followed by the name of the application is how you start them running. So, for example, if you inserted a CD-ROM and the setup file was called 'Setup', you would do something like this (though it might depend on your system - on mine the DVD-ROM drive is loacted at /media/cdrom - yours may not be):

Code:
cd /media/cdrom
wine Setup

And this would start the installer. Install as you normally would under Windows, then when it is complete you should be able to run it. Wine may have created an entry in your menu under 'Applications' and you can run things you install from here. Alternatively, you can run them from the terminal. Say I had just installed Morrowind. To run it from the terminal, I would type:

Code:
wine Morrowind

Be warned, though - Wine doesn't work for everything and you might have to put in some serious work to get some games and applications running. You can find a wealth of information (including details of how others got games to run) in the AppDB. http://appdb.winehq.org/

Good luck :)

Ty man. i got another quick question, whenever i try using the terminal, after i type the command i says sudomattpassword and it wont let me type. Is this normal? (im new to the programing side of linux

You need to type your password - it won't show up because of security ;) Just hit enter when you're done.

Ty man. i got another quick question, whenever i try using the terminal, after i type the command i says sudomattpassword and it wont let me type. Is this normal? (im new to the programing side of linux

Are you prefixing whatever command you type with 'sudo', or is it doing that anyway?

Ty Denthúl but the guy above u awnsered my question bout the termainal issue, but thanks for ur help:eek:

Back
Top Bottom