Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default How Does Building a Computer Save Money??

I've been trying to put together some items to build a new PC with parts from NewEgg.com and the cheapest I can get without a horribly crappy PC is $230 (shipping costs included). So why would I spend money on all this when I looked around on ebay and found BRAND NEW computers with BETTER parts from hundreds less?? (not to mention, theyve got XP home installed included which would cost me another hundred... legally :P)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Dell-Dimensi...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dell-Dimensi...QQcmdZViewItem

etc etc...

Really, how does building a PC save money? Do you guys buy your parts from somewhere a LOT cheaper or am i missing something?

Thanks!

karling07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117
Default Re: How Does Building a Computer Save Money??

Building is cheaper. And qaulity parts is key. And dells heh they are great with HDs well actually not they burn up fast. Fucking hot. Dells are generally shitty. You can build a computer for about 500. And a good one at that (well decent for websurfing) and you'll have qaulity parts. Telling you do not buy those dells. A lot of computer shops even charge 2x the normal fee just to fix them.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #3
xxcobraxx

well.. single bits are cheaper, copanys build and add more, they have to make profit
Old 08-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
xxcobraxx

I hate people who swear annd take this pee out of dell, leave them alone, there making money
Old 08-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

I know but i got like the crappiest parts from newegg i could think of cuz i want a cheap pc and those ones on ebay have better parts and cost less!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

No they don't have better parts. Dells are cheaply made. There a reason why i'm aganist dells. I assure you it will be a mistake to buy a dell. Heck even my school is replacing their dells to custom built ones as the dells crash. Which is happening quite often now after a year we got brand new computers last year and we are replacing them. To custom built. Most common problem? HD over heating. And they aren't really put to any real test with the teachers entering grades. Example if I build a computer for somone. I tend to roudn teh parts up to the next 10th. So if your vid cadr is 171. I'll total it for 180. Then i'll add anywhere from a 100 to 300 buck fee depending on the build type to make myself a profit. If they would build there own they could save anywheres from 100 to 400 and actually know to fix the thing when it breaks. In time everything breaks. Or needs upgrading. Example i'm thinking of getting a slightly bigger HD. Total cost ah about 150 including shipping. If I wouldn't of built my computer and not know how to do that i'd be spedning about 150 plus a 50 buck service fee. So i'm saving 50 bucks for being smarter.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
In Runtime

I don't only really really enjoy building, but, i like the fact that i know exactly what's in my box, it's also something really really useful to learn how to do. Overall, it makes me feel more comfortable with my system.

Plus, goes without saying that building gives you a chance to make what you NEED not what you have to have. For example, if you want to just browse the net, send emails, word process, you don't need a phat GPU...You can save that money for a nice CPU which'll help you get on with what you like better. That's the main advantage in my opinion...And yes it's cheaper.

The Dell systems are poor. They come with a bit of poor everything. Onboard graphics, 256RAM, Celeron CPU's. Along with a million crap programs on (does that irritate everyone else too, all the stupid software with them!?) No wonder they're cheap; they're awful!
Wiredchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Yes I agree. The building is a fun part too. I enjoyed building my own PC. Thats why you should build your own. Not only that tech support on here is better then any dell thing.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
In Runtime

Good call.
Wiredchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Thanks for all the replies! Also, what do barebone systems usually includE? do those help for new pc builders?