How do you wireless network your house?

99nasha

Fully Optimized
Im not going have my new computer running till summer so i have a long time yet, but if do have this this new comp in my room Im going to have to have internet access to it. We currently have a 512KB broadband service to our house which is connected to our computer in the office. How would i go about getting internet access throughout the entire house? Im not bothered about sharing files with my older computer but i just need the internet... My parents would also like to have the internet through their laptops with a wirless card...

I know i will have to buy a "router" but have no idea what they do...

Can someone give me a detailed explanation into how to do it and how much it is expected to cost?

Thanks

99nasha

Get a wireless network setup by purchasing a wireless router (that supports your connection, ie DSL or cable). Linksys makes one of the finest routers you can buy. Then for each PC you want connected, you need to install wireless network cards or adapters to them. The laptop will need a PCMCIA wireless adapter as well.

That's my basic knowledge of it. Someone fill us in on more detail. As for the price, routers can range from $50-$150. Each PC will need a wireless card and they range in price from $40-$110 US each. (Using Linksys brand)

Then that will broadcast your internet round the house? Where do you plug the wireless router then??

Yes. For instance, I have cable internet. The cable line comes in and hooks up to the back of my cable router. Of course, there is also a power cord that plugs into the wall to power up the router.

I don't have wireless so I have a RJ45 patch cable going from the cable modem to my motherboard's NIC. In wireless case when you turn it on, it should start broadcasting to your wireless adapater that you install into your PC. The instructions that comes with the Linksys wireless router should be very helpful on getting started and how to configure it.

When you get the wireless router (get a Linksys), you will have a CD to set up your network which is basically simple. The PC you will set up the router on is called the access point. You will be able to control the router (AP) from this PC and setup your broadcast for the wireless network. {Note: Get a G band router as it is more reliable.} From the AP you will setup which channel you will broadcast and also set a SSID which should normally be encrypted so only your network will recieve the signal. The other PC will have to get wireless network cards which you will setup with the same encryption and same channel. WIFI is basically easy to install. Concerning the file sharing; you share files between computers if you allow sharing, it is as simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom