Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #11
BSOD

Default Re: How Do you use a No-CD Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurmy
Alright I bought Age Of Empires 3 for my PC about 2 months ago and found it very annoying to keep popping in the disc to play the game. Well I found out there are CD Cracks that allow you just to click on your Desktop Icon and there ya go your in the game so were do I place the CD Crack File to play the game?
Megagames for No CD cracks, left side of the web page under the heading Game Fixes, d/load and just extract to the game directory, it will replace the original .exe, thats how the AoE III one I got there works anyway (I always back up the original .exe first, in case you want to game online you will need to replace the cracked .exe or the server won't allow you to join) Also ensure you get the correct version number no cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amish Kid
No these aren't illegal as long as you own the game. I use them for all of my games so I dont have to worry about switching cd's and stuff.
Incorrect ....... they are illegal, technically, because you are breaching the EULA by altering the .exe code
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX
Or right click on the short cut, and then, "Find Target", and just drag/drop/replace.
You have to unzip/extract them first, best to just unzip to the target directory

Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

Yeah, to use something like that is pretty much straightforward..
But, I'm going to have to look into that, as far as the legal matters concerning this as I'd like to know myself if it is illigeal.

Bahawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:18 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to drumthrasher Send a message via MSN to drumthrasher Send a message via Yahoo to drumthrasher

tomorrow...but there are backups of the files though.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
Wizard of Wires

Bahawolf let us know what you find out.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #15
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

there are no backups of the original exe. what are you talking about?
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #16
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

You could try a virtual cd rom program (I use Daemon Tools). Basically, you copy the disc as an image (I use Nero) and use virtual cd to mount the image. It's just like having another CD ROM. I use it all the time. Should work in cases like this. I also know their are mods out their that allow you to run games without the CD. Where you would get them, I'm not sure. Try the virtual CD, see if it works.
pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:02 AM   #17
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahawolf
.....But, I'm going to have to look into that, as far as the legal matters concerning this as I'd like to know myself if it is illigeal.
Just read the EULA, it states you are not allowed to alter the game code

Quote:
Originally Posted by john123
there are no backups of the original exe. what are you talking about?
you go to the installed game directory on your pc and copy the original .exe file to a different location for future use. That way when you drop the no cd cracked .exe in there and it replaces the original you will have a copy. then if you decide you want to play online you just copy paste the original .exe file back into the game directory, replacing the cracked one, and you're good to go online

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctechmike
You could try a virtual cd rom program (I use Daemon Tools). Basically, you copy the disc as an image (I use Nero) and use virtual cd to mount the image. It's just like having another CD ROM. I use it all the time. Should work in cases like this. I also know their are mods out their that allow you to run games without the CD. Where you would get them, I'm not sure. Try the virtual CD, see if it works.
That works too, but I could never be bothered with Daemon Tools, each to his own I guess

EDIT: What we're talking about here is using a modified .exe file or tool such as Daemon Tools to negate the inbuilt code that requires the game to verify the existance of a genuine CD before running, once thought to be solely the realm of game d/load pirates it is now a wide spread practice for several reasons, original disks getting scratched, the hassle of inserting a disk each time you change games etc, some game makers have released no cd patches with their games, for instance, I have a no cd patch for CoD2 single player, yet I do not need a CD for multi player because activision made multiplayer cd free, it works on the keycode not the cd.
NOTE PLEASE: I do not advocate the pirating of games, I buy all my games, if everyone pirated games the makers would go broke and the world would be a sadder place, please support game makers, small things like a no cd patch used by legal game owners is a point that has been contentious for ages.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:41 AM   #18
Fully Optimized

i agree that pirating games is wrong and we should support game makers by buying them but u can also argue that $60 for a disk and some cardboard packaging just isnt worth it when you might not even be sure what you're getting, as for the no cd crack thing u just download it and put it in the game folder, it will then ask u if u want to overwrite something, click yes and thats it but keep in mind u wont be able to play online with a no cd crack
Old 04-21-2006, 01:54 AM   #19
Fully Optimized

As far as a No-CD crack, I don't see anything morally against it as long as you purchased the game because it just adds convenince, but it is against the law obviously.

All the same, I don't believe in people cracking games, or pirating them in general.

If you enjoy software, you should purchase it because it supports the author(s) and allows for them to create future versions and / or upgrades.
Bahawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:22 AM   #20
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming_freak
i agree that pirating games is wrong and we should support game makers by buying them but u can also argue that $60 for a disk and some cardboard packaging just isnt worth it when you might not even be sure what you're getting.......
True, also buggy game releases and endless patches are a pain in the butt as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming_freak
..... but keep in mind u wont be able to play online with a no cd crack.......
As explained in my above post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahawolf
As far as a No-CD crack, I don't see anything morally against it as long as you purchased the game because it just adds convenince, but it is against the law obviously.

All the same, I don't believe in people cracking games, or pirating them in general.

If you enjoy software, you should purchase it because it supports the author(s) and allows for them to create future versions and / or upgrades.
you hit the nail on the head here ....... it is moral v lawful, morally as a purchaser I have no qualms, legally ...... I'm breaking the law
I have to say, as a game purchaser I use no cd cracks with a clear conscience, sure technically it is illegal, but when, and only when, the "NO CD Crack Police" turn up at my door I'll start to worry