how do you know...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
if there's a problem with your motherboard's PCI-E slot...? is there a program that can check it...? sometimes when I turn my system off, I have to wiggle or press down on the video card to get it to boot up again, even though it is firmly seated, usually for at least a half hour or so, this is the motherboard...

ASUS P5NSLI

I have tried the video card on my other motherboard...

Asrock 775DUAL VSTA

and there are no problems whatsoever getting it to boot up every time on the Asrock...

should I just swap the Asrock motherboard into my main system...? given the specs in the links, they are pretty comparable (except the Asrock's PCI-E slot is only x4, not x16) aren't they...? would the x4 instead of x16 greatly decrease the quality of my video playback (make it choppy)...? hell, if my PCI-E slot is messed up, I may not be getting the full performance of my x16 slot anyway, right...?

and yeah, I know all my components are outdated (both motherboards are deactivated items on Newegg), but they work for what I do on the computer so I'm not too concerned with that...

Try cleaning the gold contacts on the card with a quality rubber eraser (staedler or similar)

Also see if you can clean inside the slot with either a shaved down eraser or failing that some isopropyl alcohol.

It could just be dirty contacts.

Try cleaning the gold contacts on the card with a quality rubber eraser (staedler or similar)

Also see if you can clean inside the slot with either a shaved down eraser or failing that some isopropyl alcohol.

It could just be dirty contacts.

I already tried with isopropyl alcohol, I think the there's something wrong with the PCI-E slot (maybe the motherboard is bent or something), can I use the second PCI-E slot or will it only work if I am running two video cards in SLI...? I tried that already and it didn't work but I didn't switch the SLI card on the motherboard to dual, would that activate the second slot...?

Back
Top Bottom