Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default How do you explain this?

Yesterday my computer froze and I was forced to restart it. But as I did it did not boot to the hard drive as always, it asked for the Windows boot disk to start from, I was unable to access anything on the hard drive and I used the XP CD to try and carry out a repair install of my system, but that didn't work either and I was shown this error:

*** Stop: 0x0000006F (0 x C 0000020, 0 x 00000000, 0 x 00000000, 0 x 00000000)

I had to boot to the Recovery Console which had very limited functions and didn't allow me to access any of my folders or the registry. I typed in CHKDSK to see what the problem might be and the result was: "volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

I used my old computer to do a bit of research and found out this problem sometimes occurs because of missing drivers or a corrupt registry, another possible cause is that the optical CD drive is faulty.

Since the Repair install wasn't going to work I figured I had no choice but to perform a clean install and format the whole drive, or maybe even replace the Hard drive for a new one. As it was getting late I decided to call it a day and have a look at it again in the morning.

Next day I get up and switch the computer on as usual and lo and behold no more error messages! It goes into Windows and I could use my account as if nothing even happened, there doesn't seem to be any loss of data, and I carried out a few virus and spyware checks but didn't find anything serious.

Any ideas what might have caused this, or how to stop it from happening again?

I am in the process of backing up all files as I write this.

Your feedback is very much appreciated

SubZeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike
Default Re: How do you explain this?

I don't know if you seen this Microsoft KB or not, but check it out: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;236086

Also, check event viewer. It should have logged something there, giving a slight clue as to what happened. In this case, what are your system specs? It does sound like a possible hardware issue- but any number of hardware issues. List your system specs, and look online for some free diagnostic utilities.
Please Add To My Rep If I Helped You
pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote