How do I use my monitor as a TV?

PCNoob2

Daemon Poster
:confused: I'm slightly confused.

Will you be taking the cable line that is in your room and want to hook it up to your monitor? Or do you want to be able to hook it up to the computer and use the computer to convert the signal to your monitor.

If you also want to hook up your 360 then the best thing I could recommend is to buy a small TV (like 21" or so) that has a Video input.

That will be much easier. A TV tuner card would work for the TV, but there would still be no way for the 360. Where as a small TV would allow for the cable and for the 360 as well as have an input for a monitor. Almost all LCD TV's now-a-days has the monitor input on them.

As for the 360, just plug it in the HDMI port. Asus monitors with HDMI have a sound issue though. When sounds start, it doesn't play the first part and slowly goes up to volume, which takes ~2 seconds. I have the same monitor, it's really annoying. Anyhow, as for cable, you'll need a TV tuner card for your computer. There is no tuner in the monitor, so you're sorta outa luck there :-/

: A TV tuner card would work for the TV, but there would still be no way for the 360. Where as a small TV would allow for the cable and for the 360 as well as have an input for a monitor. Almost all LCD TV's now-a-days has the monitor input on them.

That's not entirely accurate. Some TV Tuner cards have composite A/V inputs or even S-video. I hooked up a PS2 to my TV tuner card using composite inputs and it worked just fine.

:confused: I'm slightly confused.

Will you be taking the cable line that is in your room and want to hook it up to your monitor? Or do you want to be able to hook it up to the computer and use the computer to convert the signal to your monitor.

If you also want to hook up your 360 then the best thing I could recommend is to buy a small TV (like 21" or so) that has a Video input.

That will be much easier. A TV tuner card would work for the TV, but there would still be no way for the 360. Where as a small TV would allow for the cable and for the 360 as well as have an input for a monitor. Almost all LCD TV's now-a-days has the monitor input on them.

QFT

I have my HDTV connected to my computer as well as my 360.

Monitors DONT have a built in tv tuner card.

Thanks for the replies guy and I agree I think a small dedicated TV would work best for my 360.

One more question: What would be the best way to ship my desktop computer to school? I have the box the case came in and the little shelves that held it in place within the box. I have the box for my monitor as well but I'm afraid it might slide around a bit in there since I no longer have the styrofoam holders that secured it.

Keyboard and speakers I might have to ship in a separate box but that should be easier since its a smaller package.

Has anyone done ever shipped a desktop computer before and if so how did you secure it? How much did it cost roughly?

Thanks again guys

PS - I would really rather not disassemble the PC components if I can. some websites tell me to do that but I know Ive received prebuilt computers from Dell and Compaq before with everything still assembled with no problems at all starting them up and using them

Back
Top Bottom