How do I transfer files to my new computer?

complication

Solid State Member
I have songs I want to be transferred to my new computer I just got for Christmas. I'm on the old one now with the songs and want to transfer them to a new computer.

How do I do this? Thanks!

how many files do you have? if you have a burner on your old computer I would just use cd-r's and transfer the files that way. or you could always take the hard drive out of your old computer and install it in the new one and just drag and drop the files you want over to the new hard drive. and another option is, there is some software out there that transfers info from old to new with a special connector, although I'm not sure exactly what it is.
hope this helps

Yeah, you've got quite a few options....Transfer them to a CD-R or a DVD-R if you have a cd or dvd burner...Or you could put the Hardrive in the new computer....There's also little pocket USB's you can get, That would be quick and easy....But for a 1GB one (Which you'll probably need if you have got a lot of files) costs around 70 pounds I think...

I've got 2852 files to transfer at an average of 3.78 MBs each, so CDs would take quite some time and wouldn't be efficient in my opinion. If it comes down to it I'll do it, but I would prefer not to.

Is there a way I can transfer the files over maybe a USB connection or firewire or something? A network transfer?

Any ideas?

You could use a DVD-R if you have a DVD Burner...You can get an USB Port thingy that will go in your USB port and can be used as a drive. You can get 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB or 1GB ones. In you're case, you're probably gonna want the 1 GB one

you can share your files over the same LAN line. That means the shared files will show up on both comps.

Nah, not going to buy a USB memory thing to do it, sorry lol.

What about the LAN? Is there a way I can do this with the computer? I do have a router if necessary...

yea just use the router for both computers and make sure they are on the same network. Then there should be a folders that can be shared through the network.

install ur old hard drive to ur new computer so u have two !!! its way better and u wont lose ur files........... install by using those cable thingys

I'm new to this forum...

My old machine is a Windows 98 box and my new one is going to have Windows XP Home on it.

Will Windows XP recognize my old disk so I can "drag-n-drop" the files from it onto my new disk?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom