Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-21-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
Fully Optimized
Default How do I reformat?`

I was wondering if someone could post a step by step guide to the proper way to fully reformat a Windows XP pro machine. In lay terms would be helpful.

JOIN RG Forums its Hella Good!!!
NOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
Golden Master
Default Re: How do I reformat?`

Using Windows XP Disk

1. Backup all data.
2. Unplug all USB devices like printers, scanners and palm pilots. If you have several internal cards that you added after you purchased the computer, you may need to remove these as well.
3. With computer running, insert Windows XP Installation CD in drive, ignore the installation screen and restart computer with the CD in the drive. A short message will display “Press Any Key to boot from CD” Press key quickly. If your computer will not boot from the CD, you may have to go into your bios and change your boot order to boot from CD first.
4. Windows will now load some setup files and if you need some 3rd party disk drivers such as those required for some SATA drives you will have only a moment to press F6 to do this. Otherwise wait until you see the Welcome to Setup screen. This screen will display your current disk partitions. I would suggest using the ”D” key to delete the current windows partition and then use the “C” key to recreate the partition. If you have a fairly large hard drive I would suggest creating 2 partitions. One for the windows operating system and another for your data. This way if you want to reinstall windows again in the future, you data will be safe on the 2nd partition.
5. Once you have created the partition or decided to keep the original partitions, Windows will format and start to install windows as well as prompt you for your Code Key for the CD case. This should take about 30 to 60 minutes.
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote