how do I partition my hard drive

siggy

Baseband Member
how do I partition my hard drive I'm currrently using windows XP and I want to put on window 98 because I am having trouble running some win98 software though the PCW and all the patches and fixes don't help and haven.t fixed it.........

so plan Z run win 98 in a partition section place software on there and flick between xp and win 98

If the drives for the graphics etc are installed with XP I assume that the win 98 partition will use them no problem?

can I do it without reinstalling the O/S

I'm afraid you won't be able to do it without re-installing the OS unless you buy this program that will do it, caled Partition Magic which makes the job alot easier, though its not free.

http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

WHAT YOU DO WITHOUT IT:

What you'd have to do without it, is to format the drive, and go back to the Windows XP setup, setting up two partitions there, seperating them maybe in half and installing XP on one since i'm afraid the way you'd have it set up now is using the whole entire drive for the Windows XP drive and so, this can't be taken back to install Windows 98 on.

You'd then use a bootdisk to start the Windows 98 stup and choose the second partition Windows XP setup created but has nothing installed to it yet.

You'd then have two setups when you started up to select from if its all been done correctly since they'l be two boot records on the drive to start.

QUESTION:

As for this, "If the drives for the graphics etc are installed with XP I assume that the win 98 partition will use them no problem?".

No, because since you have two partitions, these are compeltly seperate from one another, so it'd be like having two hard drives apart from one another. You'd just simply have to install the same driver on both.

I hope this helps :)

(Edited, Illiegal material)

Anyway, you can setup a diskette and run fdisk on DOS, I dont remember too much that step, because someone just did it... I'll try to find out how it was. Try looking for the Partition Magic.

This is illiegal and you shouldn't do it, and you shouldn't say about this in a forum like this as we don't tolerate abuse. Please don't do this again.

Back
Top Bottom