Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-27-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default how do i get my new comp not to mess up?

ok heres the deal:
i am getting the computer that is in my profile from newegg. i am new at actually putting together a computer like this. i have heard sooo many complaints on here about ppl puting their computers together and the computer not turning on, or they fry their motherboard. can ppl give me some tips, because i am sooo worried about doing this. i am extreemely focused on this being a 1 time thing and not a month long project

jcon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz
Default Re: how do i get my new comp not to mess up?

Building a computer is one of the easiest things to do. It's normal that you're nervous, but don't worry, it truly is easy as long you take everything nice and slow. You need be able to read for one thing, you'll be reading lots of manuals, and those manuals will pretty much be your guide for what to do. Be sure to this on maybe hardwood floor or a table, but not carpet. Get yourself grounded so that there isn't tons of static in your body because that's how people fry their mobos. And definitely be gentle with these parts, I hold everything from the edges and try to touch them with the most caution. Just pay attention to what you are doing, read manuals, and groudn yourself. It will be very easy.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Silvance Send a message via Yahoo to Silvance

If I were on linoleum, would I still generate static electicity with me lying/sitting on the ground?
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz

Not sure, I don't know much about linoleum (well except that it's something you lay on the ground and it's pressed by heat or something).
Old 07-28-2005, 12:05 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

winterfresh your reply was very reasuring that most ppl are nervous because spending this kinda money... i am nervous as a 2 year old w/ a tank of coffee. i really dont wanna screw anything up. but im gettin 2, not just 1 but 2 anti static bracelets (1 for each hand) lol i know.. im a dork. but ya know, better safe than sorry. but yea i know basically how to put together a computer, but its just the value that is getting at me. im sure ill be okay. !!!!important!!!!!:::: EVERYONE WATCH OUT FOR MY POST IN A COUPLE WEEKS. I AM GONNA COME ON HERE WHILE PUTING IT TOGETHER SO I CAN GET A WALKTHROUGH KINDA! i will make another thread when i am about to do it.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:11 AM   #6
BSOD

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea.... CF video chat! Heh, just a thought. Anyway, you definitely don't need two antistatic straps, but if it makes you feel safer, go for it. Good luck!
catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:21 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

yeah lol, never heard of two, but hey the more the marrier.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:22 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

I just fried my MOBO when putting a computer together. it's the worst feeling ever,lol. i was all confident that nothing was going to go wrong and boom. antistatic wrist things=good,lol. just don't get over confident and you should be fine.
GPU-MSI GeForce 6600 GT(PCI Express)~~Monitor Viewsonic VA902B 19" 8ms~~ ATI TV Wonder Pro (TV Tuner)
~~Still to come~~: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT
Dishdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:45 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

Dishdog i feel for you, yep i dont care what anyone, says its 2 bracelets for me! , what kind of mobo was it, the one in ur sig? well, anyway just to answer your warning dishdog, i am NEVER overconfident. lol
WOW- that video chat thing would be SUCH a good idea. the website admins should definitely go over that, i wonder if the idea has ever been brought upp??
Old 07-28-2005, 06:16 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

it would be to much trouble to make sure everyone get it appropriate especailly if some freak just got on to be disguisting.