How do I change Owner name?

Jp425

Baseband Member
Originally Posted by Jp425
How do i change my username to "owner" ? I used my full name when i registered my copy of windows. I'd like to change it maybe not to owner but something else.

Although this is totally unrelated to the original topic, ill answer, but you should create a new topic in future....

There are 2 ways to change the name

a) Open Control Panel>>User Accounts>>Click your user>>Click Change my Name....this is the easy way, alternatively...

b) Right click My Computer, click Manage>>on the tree to the left, go to Local Users and Groups>>Users>>right click your user and click rename...

Hope this helps,

i tried your suggestions but it seems all the changes didn't work. The name has changed in the "computer management>Users" but i tested by making a folder on my desktop and my old name still appears.

neodude112320 said:
it is somewhere in the registry

Thats oddly specific :p.

First, make a backup copy of your registry. If you dont know how to do it, google it. To access your registry go to start > run > and type in regedit.

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion

In your registry.

Then, click the "CurrentVersion" folder and look for the "RegisteredOwner" key. Double click and change the value to your name. You can also change the "RegisteredOrganization" if you want.

EDIT: I felt like being nice, so i looked up a website for backing up the registry for you in case you dont know how. Here's the link

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/401

It should simply be in the "currentversion" folder, don't go farther than that.

edit: pic added for clarification.
help.JPG

Okay, i found it in my registry. Apparently the location of the Regowner and Regcompany values changed in SP2.

Go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\01E4D47B330100000000000000000010\InstallProperties

Their, in the right pane, you'll see RegOwner and RegCompany. Double click either of those, and change the value data to whatever you want it to be.

If it's not their for some reason, (mine and alexf2244's seem to be in different places for some reason), then just hit control 'F', and make sure only the 'Data' box is checked off, and type in the name of the currentregistered owner. After the search the field containing the owner name data will pop up and you can change it.

EDIT: I just took a look at the picture of your registry. I guess our registered owner fields are not in the same place. I reccomend you hit control 'F while in the registry and unchecking all the boxes except for the one labeld 'Data'. Then type in the name of the current registered owner exactly as it appears when you go into "My Computer", and then right click on the white space, and hit properties.

If for some odd reason that comes up with nothing, try checking off all thre boxes and typing in RegOwner. If that doesnt come up with anything try searching for Registered Owner. Lemme know how that goes.

I scrolled down but i don't have this part in bold: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\01E4D47B330100000000000000000010\Insta llProperties

Here is what I have:http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/loop429/reg1.jpg
I cklicked on the first extension and in that folder there is a regowner, but all the extensions in "products" have regowner option as well.

I tried the control F as well searched and it didn't find anything. When you say right click on the white space, is that in the search box, i tried but properties option does not appear. I tried after pressing find, but also no properties option.

I appreciate all your help, thanks

Jp425 said:
I scrolled down but i don't have this part in bold: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\01E4D47B330100000000000000000010\Insta llProperties

Here is what I have:http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/loop429/reg1.jpg
I cklicked on the first extension and in that folder there is a regowner, but all the extensions in "products" have regowner option as well.

I tried the control F as well searched and it didn't find anything. When you say right click on the white space, is that in the search box, i tried but properties option does not appear. I tried after pressing find, but also no properties option.

I appreciate all your help, thanks

Just going back, are you sure there are no RegOwner and RegOrganization fields in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion there? I have SP2 installed and when i went there they were both there...looking at your picture, you have gone too far down, further than the CurrentVersion folder, simply single click on CurrentVersion and see if u see them....On that note, there is software available to change is, for example TuneUp Utilities...

Matt

Mattyl110792 said:
Just going back, are you sure there are no RegOwner and RegOrganization fields in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion there? I have SP2 installed and when i went there they were both there...looking at your picture, you have gone too far down, further than the CurrentVersion folder, simply single click on CurrentVersion and see if u see them....On that note, there is software available to change is, for example TuneUp Utilities...

Matt

He has those opened I beleive, but the current version field is selected. I have those matching fields in my current version folder too. I do not have a RegisteredOwner or RegisteredOrganization in that folder either. However I have found something that will do it for you:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_ChangeOwnerOrg.zip

Download and extract that program, and run it. Change the owner and organization in their. Reboot, and then it should be changed.

Back
Top Bottom