Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default How to control fan speed

OK, all of my case fans are at 100%, and the noise is getting irritating. If I'm browsing the web, I really don't think it's necessary. So, my question is, how can I slow them down? I would prefer to use software. Only problem is, my fans are the ones with just a positive and negative connection, no ground or control connection. Ideas?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: How to control fan speed

speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

intel core-i7 920 4+ GHz with the thermaltech 120 extreme with adition 120mm fan lapped. mobo: asus p6t deluxe gpu: Sapphire 5870 OCED. PSU: power pc and cooling 910 watt RAM: Corsair 6GB ddr3 1600 HDD: two 640 Gb WB Caviar in RAID 0: coolermaster haf 932 with all red fans
monitor: samsung ToC T260 roseblack 25.5" 5ms 1920x1200
pepzsoduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

If your fans are two lead, positive and negative, then you really can't use software to control them. You could use hareware.

There are lots of controllers like this one:

Thermaltake XCONTROLLER 5.25" Drive Bay Kits - Fan Controller w/ LED Light
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russel View Post
If your fans are two lead, positive and negative, then you really can't use software to control them. You could use hareware.

There are lots of controllers like this one:

Thermaltake XCONTROLLER 5.25" Drive Bay Kits - Fan Controller w/ LED Light
Looks good, but has bad ratings. But isn't there some way to make the motherboard reduce the voltages to the fans? I find it hard to believe that I can do it with a knob but not with my computer =S
Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Golden Master

a not is a potentiometer, big difference from a Mobo, and most Mobo's dont have voltage regulators for the case fan connections, usually only the CPU pins have a regulator.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811997010

better?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperviper21 View Post
a not is a potentiometer, big difference from a Mobo, and most Mobo's dont have voltage regulators for the case fan connections, usually only the CPU pins have a regulator.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811997010

better?
Knob, pot, big dif. It's all the same thing. I find it hard to believe I can't change the voltage of the fans through the motherboard, but I guess I can't...
Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Knob, pot, big dif. It's all the same thing. I find it hard to believe I can't change the voltage of the fans through the motherboard, but I guess I can't...
If your fans plug directly into the motherboard you usually can control them with software. There are three pin fan connectors, positive voltage, ground, and tachometer signal. Four pin fan connectors also have a control lead in addition to power, ground and speed signal. Most modern computer motherboards can control the power to the fan by using pulse width modulation. Fans with only to leads, power and ground, can't be controlled by the motherboard because the motherboard can't tell how fast the fan is spinning without the speed or tach signal.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russel View Post
If your fans plug directly into the motherboard you usually can control them with software. There are three pin fan connectors, positive voltage, ground, and tachometer signal. Four pin fan connectors also have a control lead in addition to power, ground and speed signal. Most modern computer motherboards can control the power to the fan by using pulse width modulation. Fans with only to leads, power and ground, can't be controlled by the motherboard because the motherboard can't tell how fast the fan is spinning without the speed or tach signal.
OK, that makes sense. I still thought there would be some way to change the voltage. I was going to get better fans anyhow, I guess I'll just make sure they're 4 pin.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
OK, that makes sense. I still thought there would be some way to change the voltage. I was going to get better fans anyhow, I guess I'll just make sure they're 4 pin.
It may be cheaper to get a fan controller and do it manually, but...

According to the motherboard manual (for the motherboard in your signature line) your motherboard has three four pin fan plugs including one for the CPU fan. The fan headers including the one for the CPU Fan speed can be controlled and monitored in the Health status section of the Bios. There is a smart fan control setup that looks pretty cool.