How can I get the most out of this configuration?

red2928

Baseband Member
How do I Configure?

I am building a basic computer with what I believe as decent parts. I was hoping that I could get some advice on how to get the most out of these computer parts. I have read that this Motherboard can over clock like crazy but I have never over clocked and have no idea where know where to start. I am not a huge gamer but I want to be able to play the new Call of Duty 2 or similar games. This is the run down.

-ASUS P4P800SE Socket 478 Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard
-Pentium 4 2.8, 533 MHz Processor
-Kingston Value RAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
-80GB Western Digital Hard Drive
-MSI RX9250-T128 Radeon 9250 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
-Rosewill RV400-2 ATX 2.01 400W Power Supply
-For the CPU Fan I got the MASSCOOL 9U291B1M3G 70mm Ball CPU Cooler
-Two Case fans to help blow out any heat so I could try over clocking but I am still contemplating.

Thanks in advance to any help you could give me.

Red2928

I personally would not go with a pent. 4, as of they are basically obselete. Amd's are a way better choice. Trust me on this. I personally have owned a pent. 4 and my amd right has outperformed it over by 10 times. It's an amazing comp. 512mb is the bare minimum nowadays, so as long as you don't do anything too memory demanding, you should be just fine. An 80gb hd isn't really enough, unless all you do is browse the web and type word doc's. The graphics card is agp and the 9250 gpu is old. I totally recommend that you do not buy this computer and wait and get a better amd comp, with better specs. How much does this comp cost? Unless it's dirt cheap or you're getting it for free, I would not get it. It'll last you, however, for a while, maybe 1-2 years, depending on how technology increases, but, as far as I can tell, it won't be doing any gaming at high settings or multitasking. But if you don't want to do that and if you want to build the comp, respond that you want to oc. There are some good ways to oc...

This computer costs only 350 bucks and over clocking is something that I am interested in to get at least over the 3.0ghz range.

Ok, nevermind.... so it's dirt cheap. For that price, it's not too bad! I would suggest you go into BIOS and you adjust the clock speed for the main cpu. Also, don't forget to adjust the fsb too. Also, along with that, I would adjust the speed of the memory too. There's some complications, but it's a relatively easy thing to do.

i didnt know u could adjust the clock speed of the cpu...i thought u could only adjust the fsb, anyway i highly suggest getting a p4 with 800fsb instead of 533 and as for overclocking all u really need to do is raise the fsb slowly and keep an eye on the temps, and as for that comp being able to play cod2 i dont think it will handle it to well but it might be ok at the lowest settings

Do you have any good sites to go to, I have been searching for a good site to find out how to OC this motherboard. I was thinking about buying another processor since I got the rest of the parts cheap. But I dont want to over kill with such a weak video card. Another issue I was wondering was if I increase the FSB will it also increase the speed of the memory automaticaly?

The architecture used in the Athlon 64 CPU depends on it's clock speed to make use of memory bandwidth due to its onboard memory controller that scales with processor speed. So yes, raising the FSB will increase memory bandwidth will go up.

i would get some better RAM, some OCZ Plat Rev. 2 will be nice, and get a new CPU cooler, my friend got his P4 up to 3.8Ghz with that RAM and a modded Zalman 7000cu.

ownage said:
i would get some better RAM, some OCZ Plat Rev. 2 will be nice, and get a new CPU cooler, my friend got his P4 up to 3.8Ghz with that RAM and a modded Zalman 7000cu.

Yeah, value ram ain't that good. But if u don't want to spend much it is a good choise.

Would the fan that I bought already be a good fan for over clocking? Can I raise the FSB and the Clock speed of the Processor? And does anyone know about any good websites to over clock this configuration?

Back
Top Bottom