how to back up data, changing mobo?

onimusha

In Runtime
i have asus a8v sockey 939 mobo. my question is if atis next generation has no agp like nvidia then i have to get a nforce 4 pci express mobo. I know you have to reformat and reinstall windows when you change mobos.

I dont have the second hardrive yet, but i am planning on getting a second one along with my new mobo so i can back up my movies, but i am just not sure if it will work.

how does that work? Do i have to install windows xp on the second harddrive as well? But if i have to, how will windows xp work on the second harddrive once it detects a new mobo? wont it just lock up? so i have to reformat the second harddrive as well as the primary harddrive? is there a way to store all my movies on the second harddrive without installing windows xp?

you don't need to install windows onto the second(slave) HDD. just copy and paste the stuff you want to keep. if you have a DVD burner you can juts burn the files you want to keep onto DVDs and then transfer them back later.

i dont have a dvd burner or anything like that, i dont even have a cd burner. But you sure i dont have to install windows on slave hdd? so the second one will keep all data safe while changing mobos?

An easier thing to do would be to use the new hard drive you are getting as the OS drive, and slave your current drive to copy all the files from it to the new drive. You can then format the old drive and use it as storage or whatever. But no, you don't have to install Windows on the slave.

so to copy from my current hd to the new hd i have to slave the current hd? then what put the new hd on master? i am lost a little here.

I slave the new secondary hd so i dont need windows xp installed on it, i got that part. only part i am confused in is the transfering of data from primary hd to the new secondary hd. how the hell do you do that? well thanks anyway for all your help both of you.

Okay, you can do this one of two ways:

1) Slave your current hard drive to the new hard drive (after you get it all set up and working, of course), and copy the files from the old to the new.

2) Slave the new hard drive to your current hard drive and, again, copy the files from the old to the new.

Either way, when you slave either drive, the BIOS should recognize it on startup without you having to do anything. A new drive letter will appear in your My Computer which will be the drive you slaved. All you have to do from there is copy and paste.

if you do it way 2 you have to format the HDD before you can put anyhting on it. all you have to do is right click and it and click on format. it takes about 30 min.

Back
Top Bottom