Hot Swapping HDMI

agauos

Beta member
This shouldn't be a problem, right? As long as I'm not jamming the cable in and out of the monitor repeatedly like a madman? I'm getting a new monitor soon(god forbid this horrible CRT) and it has a fancy HDMI port. Now, I would really like to use my PS3 and PC on this monitor, but I would also really like to not have to buy an HDMI switch.

Each system will have it's own HDMI cable, so I will only need to switch the receiving ends of the cables to the monitor. I'd imagine it would be safest to turn off the monitor before doing this. However, I read somewhere that you would also have to turn off the system sending the HDMI signal, but this doesn't make sense to me. How would the system sending the signal stand a chance at becoming damaged if the cable is never touched on that end?

Thanks!

Yeah, HDMI will sync up on command, so hot plugging it is fine. I've done it extensively and it's never given me an issue as long as I practice safe plugging techniques (i.e. making sure I'm not carrying a static charge, etc)

Back
Top Bottom