"Hot-Swap" HDD?

vampist

Fully Optimized
I know what hot-swap means, take something out and replace it with another.

But what is a Hot-Swap Hard Drive and why are they so damn expensive for small amounts of space?

Are they made so you can quickly take them out and pop another in or something?

Do I need a "Hot-Swap" Hard Drive for a IBM ESERVER XSERIES 335 or can I just use a regular good old fashion hard drive?

Please if there is some massive difference could you go into detail on what it is? Please and thank you. :)

Usually you have to reinstall your OS with a new hard drive. If you have the same motherboard, it's not always required.

As far as I know 'hot swap' means that you can change the item while the server/computer is switched on and in this case you can change a hot swap hard drive without powering down.

My mother board allows this via the NVIDIA SATA controller and even if you don't have this facility you can buy hard drive caddys that allow you to 'hot swap' hard drives connected to it.

Although I don't think a 'hot swap' drive is necessary it may benefit a server system. It means you don't have to power down to replace a drive thus keeping the server online.

That IBM server uses an ULTRA320 SCSI hard drive which is, by design, hot swappable. I don't believe you can use a standard ultra ATA (IDE) hard drive in that rack server.

SCSI drives are mainly used for servers and workstations. They use different interfaces, controllers and cables than IDE drives. SCSI drives are faster and more reliable since their uptime can be measured in years compared to hours for a typical IDE drive in a home computer. Here's some more info: What is SCSI

Thank you for the info.

For running a website would you suggest I go with that or would you suggest another system?

Well I guess what I am asking what would you suggest for running a website. I am currently running it on a rather low jack system.

Given security risks involved with running your own site, I usually tell people to host with providers like Godaddy.com

For around 4 bucks a month you can get a basic hosting package and not have to worry about running your own hardware and keeping the server up to date.

Given security risks involved with running your own site, I usually tell people to host with providers like Godaddy.com

For around 4 bucks a month you can get a basic hosting package and not have to worry about running your own hardware and keeping the server up to date.

This is true, on the other hand you don't get the freedom of hosting email. Along with the freedom of installing any other web programs you need such as PHP.

Godaddy supports php, I am running a forum on my hosting account. Also, the MX records for e-mail can point to any provider you pick. Even Google could host your e-mail for you and get you access to their great spam filter and storage.

Again though it has it's draw backs. You must upload the files instead of Ctrl C,V viola online.

Godaddy supports php, I am running a forum on my hosting account. Also, the MX records for e-mail can point to any provider you pick. Even Google could host your e-mail for you and get you access to their great spam filter and storage.

I'm sorry nanotech, maybe you have different experience, but I hate GoDaddy. I'm lucky enough to ONLY be using their service for my domain name...I couldn't imagine having them for hosting. They have THE worst customer service I have ever experienced--it took them a full 24 hours to reply to a very generic problem.

A Small Orange FTW. When my domain with GoDaddy runs out, I'm switching that over to ASO (which hosts my site). They respond to tickets in a matter of MINUTES. Cheap, as well.

Back
Top Bottom