HOT power cord

Toxiic

Beta member
hey guys i just got a new computer i built and what happend is while playing guildwars 2 i was smelling a plastic melting smell i thought it was just cause it was a new computer and has some plastic parts getting warm but what it was is the power cord in the back of the computer it was really hot almost melting my question is what causes this and how can i fix it

specs- cpu: Amd fx-8150 am3+
grapics card: Radeon HD 6870
Ram: Kingston HyperX T1 8GB 4x4
mobo: gigabyte ga-970
cpu cooling: Corsair h60 liquid cooling
power supply: xfx 750 watt

that's strange. i think it's the cord it self that is the problem. replace it with a new one and see if it happens again.

If you're not using the power cord that came with the power supply, that could explain the hot power cord.

i would be very concerned if your power cord is getting hot enough to melt the casing.

Replace the power cord (cheapest option) then if it happens again look at trying it in a different plug socket, then finally replace your PSU.

I'm trying to think of the simplest / easiest options first but the last resort would be paying for a new PSU.

i would be very concerned if your power cord is getting hot enough to melt the casing. me too!

replace the power cord (cheapest option) then if it happens again look at trying it in a different plug socket, then finally replace your psu. replace the power cord itself yes, but changing to a different wall socket? What could that possibly do to alleviate his problem?

i'm trying to think of the simplest / easiest options first but the last resort would be paying for a new psu....i agree.

- - - - - - - - - -

The power cord that comes with a 300W PSU is noticeably thinner than one that comes with a 750W unit. If you're using a power cord from any PSU that was a lower wattage than your current one, then it would explain the issues you're experiencing.

When the machine is under load, it will pull more current. If the power cord is of a higher gauge, then the resistance the current encounters will cause it to heat up. You will want a power cord with lower gauge wire.

Please note that high gauge = thin wire and low gauge = thick wire.

Well said, OhSnapWord,

Most folks seem to get current, power, and voltage all screwed up. They refer to "voltage flowing through", or "power being pulled", etc. It's nice to see a proper explanation every so often!

- - - - - - - - - -

It is entirely possible that a plug socket could be putting out an inconsistent power which could cause issues. Unlikely i agree but for the sake of 10 seconds and the potential to save yourself upwards of £40 on a new PSU, well worth a shot.

It is entirely possible that a plug socket could be putting out an inconsistent power which could cause issues. Unlikely i agree but for the sake of 10 seconds and the potential to save yourself upwards of £40 on a new PSU, well worth a shot.

Like you said, it only takes a few seconds so why not, I understand that.

What I cannot possibly fathom, is even a remote possibility that the duplex electrical outlet could be the cause.

Even if it were true that his local power company, was delivering unstable frequency or voltage, it would be the same in every outlet in the house, not just one.

Back
Top Bottom