Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-16-2005, 04:42 AM   #1
Golden Master

Default Hot Amd Laptop

I just got a Compaq Presario 700 from college for free. When I brought it home (Or Hotel for that matter), I noticed that it heats up pretty quickly. My concern is, it'll burn up your lap if you keep it on there for a matter of time. It has been like that for 3 years from what I hear, and it seems like it has no effect on the preformence. I think this could cause some kind of problems in the feature, such as hardware...and such.

Also, if you can, can you rate the preformence of this laptop, if it were back then? What about the CPU? I thought AMDs were suposed to run cool? Or at least, cooler than Intel. I used a Sony Vaio with a Pent M (Bad Comparison, I know) and it ran much cooler. Is this a concern? I belive these are the specs: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/chart...id,7501,00.asp

And one last thing. I want to reinstall the OS, so everythig is fresh. What could I do? Can I try to call HPCompaq and ask for a recovery dik or what? Thanks for reading this

Cheers!

01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:00 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Paradox Send a message via MSN to Paradox Send a message via Yahoo to Paradox
Default Re: Hot Amd Laptop

That wasn't a bad notebook for its time, 900MHz was pretty good for 3 years ago, 20 Gigs was big for then too, But ofcourse Its quite out dated now lol

That heats up quite a bit because well, they all did..That heat was probably less than the intels of that time I recommend using a notebook(paper) to set it on maybe, or just use a desk

Don't leave it on overnight or anything, Leave it off when you arent using it, It'll be better than burning yourself

Funny Story you might laugh at:
I remember faling asleep with my solo one night while downloading something, my head was on the screen It had been left on for 3 days straight before that anyways but the downloading triggered the heat, So I woke up 3 in the morning with the feel of a hot iron on my face, And the gateway logo was branded on my cheek for 4 days!

Xbox Live: Error Lord
Personal Email: HunterMRose[at]gmail.com
Aim: Error Lord
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #3
Golden Master

LoL, Man, if I woke up with a Compaq logo on my face...<_< But then again, it was free, so I can't complain

But anyway how was the CPU back then? Was it budget minded?
(Mobile Duron processor)

Thanks again for the responce

Cheers!
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to reece296 Send a message via Yahoo to reece296

What is the Tempreture, use everest!?
reece296 is offline   Reply With Quote